If my landlord wants driver's license's photocopies, am I obligated by law to provide him those? 8 Answers as of October 21, 2014

Hi, My wife, my child and I are renting the place for about five months now. The landlord got the SSN ( supposedly for credit check), pay stub, and some other information were demanded before signing the lease. We pay always on time. Now the landlord sent me an e-mail saying: The county has sent me a request for information. They would like to know the following: (a) Your and yours wife Driver's license number. (b) Alien number (issued by immigration), date of entry to the USA, place of birth and date of birth for yourself, your wife and your child. Please give me this information today, so that I can respond to their request timely. I have responded: In same ways, I'm afraid of scam or theft, and there is a lot going on especially in this area. If the county wants such documents, please forward me the original documentation, and I will follow from there, or please respond them back to contact me directly via official letter. I do not see a reason why county should have such business in this matter, but if they do, I will be more than happy to assist. I would greatly appreciate if there is anything needed, you will always get in touch with me first, or both of us at the same time. I want to make clear that my wife is not going to make any decision without me being involved. The landlord's response: "I actually asked your wife for copies of your Driver's licenses, not too long ago but she never responded. The county records show my name as the main occupant of the home so the request was directed to me. I'm sure it's just a routine request and nothing to worry about. However, I do need the copies of the Driver's licenses on file. If you can email these to me, I will appreciate it as all tenants give me this information." I do really feel uncomfortable to provide the copies of photo IDs. Since we pay on time, and live there for awhile (about 5 months), do we have the right to not provide these sensitive information? Thank you so kindly.

Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
Some of that is certainly suspect. There is not likely to be any reason for the county to want the requested information. It sounds like the landlord is making an excuse because of possible embarrassment if they ask outright. However, you may want to review your lease agreement. Many landlords have provisions in the lease that state they may verify your information again later to make sure. This is done to protect against any hidden evictions sometimes. The "county requested" information I do not think you have to provide. I don't think it is as big a deal about the photo ID. You show the police when they pull you over for a ticket, and when you purchase alcohol or even certain medication. The purpose of photo ID is to prove you are who you say you are. There is no harm in making a photo copy of your license and giving the landlord a copy. Alien numbers, places of birth, and information for a minor child are not necessary.
RealChek Legal Services, PLC | Thomas E. Moorhead
There is no state law which requires you to provide copies of your driver's license, etc. Some information could be required by the local government but this is rare. If your landlord would have required a copy of your driver's license as a condition of your renting, he/she had that option but at this point in time you do not have to provide.
Casler Law Offices PLLC
Casler Law Offices PLLC | Carlton C. Casler
No statute within the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act requires a tenant to provide the landlord with a photocopy of the tenant's driver's license. If you were submitting a tenant application (as a new, prospective tenant), then the landlord can certainly ask and/or demand a copy of your driver's license. Again, no statute requires you to provide a copy of your driver's license, but if you do not provide a copy, then the landlord can deny your application. Your situation is a little different. You are already a tenant. No statute allows the landlord to demand a copy of a tenant's driver's license after you are already tenant and have signed a fixed-term residential lease (if you are a month-to-month tenant, then that could change the result because the landlord could refuse to renew your tenancy unless you provide a copy of your driver's license). Nevertheless, it is possible that your written lease gives the landlord the contractual right to demand a copy of your driver's license. If the lease includes such language and you refuse to provide that information, then the landlord can evict you. Conversely, if the lease does not give the landlord the contractual right to demand a copy of your driver's license (or other personal information), then the landlord has no legal or contractual basis for demanding a copy of your driver's license.
The the landlord again you are worried that the request he received may be a scam and you want a copy of the letter he received or at least the information as to the sender so that you can contact them directly as there should be no reason for the county to want that information. Why would they set such a quick time line for giving the information? Tell the landlord that you have been advised by an attorney to do the above and it should be very simply for him to give you the sender's information. When you were first trying to rent, the landlord could have asked to see your driver's license as a means of verifying that you are who you claim to be, as it is not a protected document such as your Social Security number [which is asked for all the time]. Having timely paid the rent for 5 months, I do not see the need for the landlord to get that information.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
This does not sound correct. Ask the landlord for a copy of the inquiry received from the county. On the other hand, it is perfectly reasonable and quite common for a landlord to require picture ID to verify the identity of a tenant. Identity fraud works both ways.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    I agree with your approach. I would not give copies of drivers licenses to anybody unless absolutely necessary. The County probably has access to them, anyway.
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    Yes, under the new good landlord programs, landlords need proof of identification in order to comply with the laws.
    Homan Legal
    Homan Legal | Andrew Homan
    I see no reason why you should be compelled to provide this information to your landlord. Your response was fine.