If my landlord raises the rent but doesn’t give me a new lease with the new payment amount do I have to pay the new rent? 7 Answers as of December 26, 2013

If my landlord changes the lease amount but doesn't give me a new lease do I have to pay the new amount or the old one?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
With no lease all he has to do is give you 30 days notice and he can charge whatever he wants.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/23/2013
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
If the lease is month to month and the landlord gives you at least thirty days written notice (sixty days if have lived there one year in California) that the amount will increase by that date, then there is no need to give you another written lease. The old lease at the new rental amount would apply.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/23/2013
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
So long as you are given 30-days advance notice, you must pay the new rent amount. If a lease expires but the parties continue the tenancy, the remaining terms otherwise continue and can only be changed with a new lease, or 30-days notice of the change in terms.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 12/23/2013
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
If your original lease term as expired, the landlord has a right to increase your rent by way of a 30 day notice without entering into a new lease. If you do not enter into a new lease, you become a month-to-month tenant and can vacate the property upon 30 days notice to the landlord.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/23/2013
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
1) I assume the initial term of your lease expired.. so you are on a month to month lease now if so and he gives you 30 day notice, verbally or in writing, (preferably in writing) YOU PROBABLY SHOULD PAY THE HIGHER RENT IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY and not move out.. There could be a loophole that if the fine print of the original lease says every thing must be in writing and he only gives you a verbal notice you might be able to challenge it. but that will only last for 30 days because he can then just give it to you in writing OR give you a 30 day notice to quit (then you need to move). So.. its a short term avoidance at most. 2) If you are still in the term of the original lease, unless the original lease allows him to raise the rent he is bound by the original lease until the term of the lease is up and he can change the rental rate.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/26/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    Depends, did he ask you to sign a letter acknowledging the rent increase subject to the old lease? Did you? Then yes, you have to pay it. If not, I suppose you could give your 30-day notice and leave.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 12/23/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    If you are month to month at this point you either pay the new requested rent or you will be evicted.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/23/2013
Click to View More Answers: