If my husband passed and I was told his autopsy results were private to me, is this true and what are my rights? 3 Answers as of February 25, 2015

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office Of Victor Waid
Law Office Of Victor Waid | Victor Waid
Suggest you contact the coroner's office in the county where your husband died for the correct answer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/25/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
According to one web site I just looked at, 15 states consider such reports to be public records but 29 will not allow there release or only under restrictions. You need to indicate which state is involved. I would also assume it depends upon whether it is a private autopsy [probably would be undisclosed] or a coroner's report [government employee], especially if a criminal charge is involved. Medical records usually are private [HIPPA] and can not be released, but such a report is not about health care treatment. I do not understand what you mean what are your rights. Do you mean can you release them if they are private? If you did, who would be able to sue you for damages in releasing them? If your husband's estate was suing someone for his death, the party being sued should be able to get the records because it goes as to the cause of death and the basis of any suit.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/23/2015
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
Speak with an attorney. Unless he died under questionable circumstances, you should certainly be able to get the results of his autopsy as his surviving spouse. The only exception may be if he had an agent under a healthcare power of attorney and that agent is advising the coroner to not give you the results.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/23/2015
Click to View More Answers: