If my husband just served me with divorce papers, should I still get a attorney to help me serve him? 11 Answers as of June 26, 2015

I just got served by husband with divorce papers yesterday. I had been preparing paperwork so that I could serve him, but he beat me to it. Should I get a lawyer to help me serve him still?

Why bother? It's just more expense and should make no difference in the end. Retaining a good lawyer, however, is a very good idea.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
I suggest you get an attorney to handle the case.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
You should get an attorney to file a response since you have now been served. Do it ASAP, the clock is ticking.
Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
Since he has filed first, it is not required you serve him. You could file a counter suit with your answer to his complaint.
Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
Yes an attorney will prepare an Answer and Counter-Claim for divorce and an Affidavit of Service, do discovery of income and assets and help you get through the entire process. Any person (except a party to the divorce) can serve the documents.
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
    If you paid a filing fee and already filed your petition you can have it served. If you did not file it yet, then prepare a Response to his Petition and use your filing fee for the Response instead.
    The Gufford Law Firm, P.A.
    The Gufford Law Firm, P.A. | Joseph Gufford
    Once you have been served, you have twenty (20) days to file an Answer. I suggest that you file an Answer and Counter-petition. Since you have leardy been served, there is no need to serve him via a process server. It is all done by mail or e-filing. Although e-filing has been previously limited to just attorneys, they have now allowed pro-se litigants to sign up for e-filing services. It saves you a lot of money in postage and time. I suggest that you consult with a qualified family law attorney to give you advice on the best course of action.
    Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
    You do not need an attorney to serve him but should retain an attorney to represent you especially if he has one.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    No! If he has already filed and served papers the divorce is ?in progress? and you will not be able to initiate a divorce that is already under way. Yes, you may want to consider getting an attorney to proceed with the divorce on your behalf in order to protect yourself and be certain everything is done properly.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    He doesn't need to be served. You might need a lawyer to represent you in the divorce.
    John W. Lee, PC
    John W. Lee, PC | Kim A. Lewis
    You should have an attorney review the papers you received. You have only 21 days to file a response.