If my husband died and he had a lot of credit cards, do I have to pay? 7 Answers as of October 09, 2013

Do I have to pay if I did not know he had them?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
You would have to pay if you used them or if you signed for them. You may also have to pay if they were used to purchase items for the marital community.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 10/9/2013
Gottlieb & Goren, P.C.
Gottlieb & Goren, P.C. | Aaron W. Goren
No, as long as you did not sign for the cards or was not responsible to provide necessities for your husband. However, if you acquired some property that was in your husband's name, you need to consult with an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/7/2013
The Troglin Firm | William M. Troglin
You personally are not responsible for your late husband's debt but his estate (Property, assets) is responsible. Georgia has an administration procedure called Years Support that you, as the surviving spouse, can claim an amount of money or property ahead of creditors sufficient to support you for one year.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 10/7/2013
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
If you were not a co-signed on the cards, then you do not have to pay his old credit card bills. If they were solely in his name and not yours, and you did not know about them, then you do not owe on them. You should not be bullied into paying them either.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/7/2013
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
No. Only his estate, if he had enough money to open one, is liable. Attempts are often made to put relative's names on accounts or to collect from relatives. Such efforts are illegal under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Send each creditor a letter stating that the cardholder died and whether there is an estate. State that you do not wish to be contacted. Do not continue using any of his cards. Keep a copy and if possible send the letter by means providing proof of receipt (fax, certified, etc.). Obtain all 3 of your credit reports and check if his cards appear for any reason. If you are an authorized user but not a cardholder, it may appear until you request removal by letter to the credit bureaus.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/7/2013
Click to View More Answers: