If my husband broke 3 vertebrae and has a scar on his face, how should we calculate pain and suffering? 2 Answers as of October 14, 2014

My husband fell through the floor of a home that his aunt rents from a local business owner. The aunt had reported to her landlord that the floor was sagging and he refused to fix it, but agreed to furnish some supplies. My husband thought only the plywood was soft, but a rotted joist broke, dropping him and some floor around him about 8 feet to the dirt basement below. He landed on some cinder blocks, fracturing 3 vertebrae and leaving a scar on his face near his temple. He was on medical leave from heart surgery, but was due to return to work 5 weeks before the doctor is now saying he will be released. We are trying not to hire an attorney as we would rather settle small and quick, but not ridiculously small either. I am growing increasingly frustrated as both the homeowner and the insurance company have not showed any concern for my husband, who, a month after his fall is still in pain every day and night. Any words of wisdom?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
A month after serious injury is too early to settle. get you a good PI attorney. He will be worth his fee because he will likely be able to do far better than you can.call me if you would like to chat. Your case is built on the totality of your bills, dr visits, dr opinions, wages lost, etc.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 10/14/2014
Geneva Yourse | Geneva Yourse
That is a major injury. You should contact an attorney. Pain and suffering should at least be the amount of medical treatment. I would ask for double that amount.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 10/14/2014
Click to View More Answers: