If my husband and I are out of town on business and we asked our daughter to take care of our pets, are we in violation because of a visitor stay? 1 Answers as of March 11, 2017

My husband and I are out of town on business. We have my daughter watching out pets for 5 days. Then she goes home for a couple and then back for a few. My landlord is harassing me about it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
Whether you are in violation of your lease or not depends upon what it says about guests. Typically, a lease will provide that guests are welcome for a certain period of time before they will be considered unauthorized tenants. There is a usually a range from 5 days to 2 weeks. If your lease does not say anything at all about the time, then it would be treated as a reasonable time. Your landlord cannot stop you from having guests, but the landlord can make sure you are not subletting or moving extra people in as unauthorized tenants. If the landlord thinks your daughter is moving in as an unauthorized tenant, the next step would be to give you a 10-day notice to comply or vacate. Your daughter would be out before the 10-day notice expired, so problem solved. If the landlord tried to push it and evict you over it, it shouldn't be too difficult to prove your daughter did not move in with you. She can provide her own lease, or copies of current utility bills in her own name as proof she lives elsewhere. Your landlord shouldn't be harassing you about this, but if you give written notice that she is only staying to watch the pets for a few days and affirm she does not live there, then you at least have documentation you tried to be reasonable with the landlord about the situation. Then you can leave it to the regular process and deal with the 10-day notice, etc. Before heading out, you may want to consult with a local landlord tenant attorney and maybe have them help you craft a letter to your landlord about the situation. Disclaimer: This answer is general in nature and is not intended to be legal advice. Accordingly, you should not act or rely on any information in this answer without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. This answer does not, and is not intended to, create an attorney-client relationship between you and the answer.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/11/2017
Click to View More Answers: