If my husbad sings voluntary deportation, does he have a better chance of coming back? 8 Answers as of August 20, 2011

My husband came to the us with a visa then he got his permanent resident card in 2009. He admitted to grand larceny so now he is being detained by ice. I am his wife a us citizen and we have a daughter who is a us citizen. I want to know how we can prevent his deportation and if he was to sign voluntary deportation can he come back legally?

Your husband may be an aggravated felon. If so, he can never come back. You must contact an immigration attorney that handles criminal cases too. Let us know if we can help.
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
You need to discuss this case with an experienced immigration lawyer. We need to assess if he can seek to readjust, or whether he has any other relief available.
The-Immigration-Lawyer.com, PC
The-Immigration-Lawyer.com, PC | Scott D. Mills
Yes. If he is deported or removed, he faces a 10 year ban before he can legally return to the US. With voluntary departure, there is no 10 year ban.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
Your husband may be eligible for relief form deportation. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney before your husband accepts voluntary departure. You first want to first see whether the U.S. government will be able to demonstrate that conviction actually renders him deportable. He can always request voluntary departure before an immigration judge at a later point. Don't let ICE pressure him to agree at an early stage without him knowing his options.
Voluntary departure is certainly better than having an executed order of deportation. You should get all the arrest, charging and disposition documents for the criminal case and consult with an immigration attorney to see if he can re-apply for the green card.
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    Without more facts I cannot say what all his options are but based on the little you've stated I don't believe he should take voluntary departure. You need to go in and see an immigration attorney so they can properly assess the case.
    Law Office of Felipe A. Malo, P.A.
    Law Office of Felipe A. Malo, P.A. | Felipe Augusto Malo
    He will need a criminal waiver and an i212 waiver to return to us after being deported He is not eligible for volun dep if he was convicted if crime
    The benefit of voluntary deportation is that he will not be barred as the result. As long as he has a new visa approved him, he can come back.