If my girlfriend got caught shoplifting $78 worth of stuff, can we keep this from going on her permanent record? 11 Answers as of August 14, 2013

How can we fix this without it going on her record? First time offense ever!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
If the police were called and she received either a citation or notice to appear in court, the short answer is that you probably can't keep it off her record. Depending on the amount allegedly stolen and the jurisdiction where the event occurred, shoplifting can be met with a mere citation (infraction), or charged as a misdemeanor or even a felony, with possible jail sentences of 6 months to 3 years. It will be up to the D.A. to determine how the crime will be charged. I suggest that you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you and get you the best deal possible.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/14/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/14/2013
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
It depends where in the process you are and how good her attorney is. It is possible.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/14/2013
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
If this happened in Missouri, you can hire an attorney to get the shoplifting charge reduced to Littering.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 8/14/2013
Ellis & Abouelsood | John Danelon
If no charges have been brought, you can often simply pay a fine.If formal charges are brought, she will have a record. Your only option then would be to complete all necessary steps of her punishment, after which you can seek an expungement either pro per or with the assistance of a lawyer. Many law firms, such as my own, provide free consultations to discuss the process which will remove the incident from most background checks.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/14/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    It will go one her record. In Washington, she committed a gross misdemeanor with a penalty range of 364 days in jail and $5,000 fine. As a first offense, she will likely be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations and be on probation for one year. Se will also have to pay a civil fine. After she has completed the terms of her sentence, she can expunge her record. Before the, her record will show up in a background check thus impacting her ability to getting employment, housing and loans.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Ask for diversion.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    The Law Office of Carlos H. Davalos
    The Law Office of Carlos H. Davalos | Carlos H. Davalos
    Theft school; supervision; have charges dropped, etc.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    We do this for our clients all the time. Best to contact an Attorney prior to the first court date.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Get an attorney and seek a diversionary program to protect her record.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    The Lariscy Law Firm, PC
    The Lariscy Law Firm, PC | Joseph E. Lariscy, III
    If you were to plead guilty in court to this offense, you are looking at high fines, probation, community service, possible jail time, and most importantly, a conviction on your criminal record. By retaining an experienced attorney, you have the benefit of having someone with vast legal knowledge that can investigate your case and negotiate the best possible outcome for you. If you have never been in trouble with the law before, there may be options available to you that will avoid a guilty plea, and may even allow you to have the charge sealed from your public record.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 8/14/2013
Click to View More Answers: