If my girl friend and I have a child, would I or she have to pay child support with joint custody? 8 Answers as of November 05, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
It would depend upon each person's gross income and percentage of custodial timeshare. There are two kinds of custody: Legal Custody and Physical Custody. Legal Custody is the right to make decisions relating to the child's health, education and welfare, and does not affect Child Support. Physical Custody is the right to have the child in a party's custody and control, and the division of Physical Custody (or custody and visitation) between the parties, either by agreement or pursuant to Court Order, does affect Child Support.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/5/2013
Oscar E. Toscano | Oscar E. Toscano
Depends on many factors, earning capacity, need, percentage of time with the child. Consult a good trial attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/5/2013
John Russo | John Russo
Depends on who has placement, you really should research the legal definitions, joint custody, placement with, mom, or dad , sole custody, placement with mom or dad, etc.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 11/5/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Maybe. It depends on how long each has the child and how much each person makes.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 11/5/2013
The Law Firm of Jessica M. Cotter, P.L.L.C. | Jessica M. Cotter
In Arizona if you are residing together there should be no question about child support. If you do not live together then the question about child support would hinge, at least in part, on your relative incomes. In the hypothetical situation where you live separately, earn about the same amount of money, each pay about one half of any daycare cost, and approximately one half of any health care, and health insurance cost, then neither of you would pay support to the other. It would be best if you consulted with an experienced family law attorney to review your situation. Here is a link to the Maricopa County child support calculator: http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/SuperiorCourt/Self-ServiceCenter/childSuppCalc.asp
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 11/5/2013
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    Support takes into account several factors, including the income of both parties, the number of nights the child stays with each party, day care expenses, health care expenses, incidentals and activities, etc. Even with a true 50/50 split of time, the parties will usually split certain expenses on a 50/50 basis and monthly support will likely still exist at some level when one has far superior earning power over the other.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 11/5/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Depends on your income and all of the circumstances. See an attorney with details and get your answer.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 11/5/2013
    Charles Regan Shaw, PLC
    Charles Regan Shaw, PLC | Charles R Shaw
    Possible. First, if you have a child, either parent may elect to go through FOC for parenting, custody, and support determinations. If you do go in that forum, and joint physical and legal custody is awarded, or consented to, a party will still have a support obligation based on income, number of overnights, etc.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 11/5/2013
Click to View More Answers: