If my father is in jail for a crime he did not commit and we are ready to fight, where should we start? 6 Answers as of August 29, 2013

My father was incarcerated in 1998 and was given 200 years for an armed robbery he did not commit. He was ask to take a plea deal of just 10 years and he said no. A jury convicted him and he's been incarcerated ever since. He was said to be the ringleader but they had no proof. A few years ago, some years were taken away from my father due to some technicalities. I am trying to get some answers as to where I can start. The statute of limitations for this particular case has not run out yet. Who can I look to help? My family has saved up some money and we are ready to try to fight. My father is also not a citizen, he was born in Kingston, Jamaica.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
You need to find an appellate attorney to overturn his conviction.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/29/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Start with the money to retain the right attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/27/2013
Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates
Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates | George Woodworth
You need to Appeal this case right away!? I have over 30 years of criminal defense experience, and can help you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/27/2013
Law Office of Alexis Plunkett
Law Office of Alexis Plunkett | Alexis Plunkett
You need to consult with an attorney who specializes in criminal appellate practice.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/27/2013
Law Firm of Marco Caviglia | Marco Caviglia
Assuming his appeal time has elapsed, he needs a creative appellate attorney to look into a 440 motion, which won't necessarily be successful or even available. He can contact Project Innocence and if they think he is wrongfully convicted and that they feel it should have a priority position, they may assist.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/27/2013
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
    The starting point would have been by appeal within 60 days of sentence. If he didn't do that, you might have trouble now.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/26/2013
Click to View More Answers: