If my ex-wife wants to change our son’s last name, what all does that mean for both my son and myself? 1 Answers as of November 14, 2016

I'm currently paying child support even though she won't allow me to see him. Do I lose that right if she changes his last name? Do I still pay child support?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
Your question is somewhat vague. That might be because you appear to be accept the situation concerning your son with a passive reaction. First, just because your ex-wife wants to change your son's last name doesn't mean you have to accept it. You can object. Secondly, in our culture, sons keep the last name of their father. So a court would not agree to it if you objected to it. In reference to paying child support, yes, you would have to continue paying. When you refer to 'losing that right', I can not tell what right you refer. As long as your parental rights have not been terminated, and in some instances even that does not relieve of you of that obligation, you have to pay. The troubling aspect of your situation is that you do not understand that she can not stop your visitation. Only a judge can do that. Do you not wish to have a relationship with your son? If so, hire an attorney to force her to allow visitation. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 11/14/2016
Click to View More Answers: