If my dog bites a pet sitter, would I be liable? 1 Answers as of March 11, 2011

My dog is not good with strangers, ever since a meter reader hit him about 6 years ago. I have been able to leave him at a kennel with no trouble. And he is OK at the vets office. But I still worry that he might bite someone, especially if he's in his own territory. And I think he's more afraid of men, than women. I'm considering hiring a pet sitter, when I go on a short 1 day trip, but I'm concerned he might bite her, since he'll be in his own territory. But she's a woman, and she was his sitter a long time ago, and it worked out alright. But I do not remember if it was before or after the meter reader incident. She's going to meet with us, to see if she feels comfortable with him. If she thinks it will be alright, after meeting him, and knowing my concerns, who would be liable if he bites her?

You would certainly be liable for the bite under Michigan law. It is strict liability and would be covered under your homeowners insurance, unless they excluded your dog or your breed type. Check with your insurance agent to make sure.