If my doctor prescribed me a hormone medication and after a year of taking it I was told it can cause uterine cancer, is the doctor liable? 8 Answers as of October 19, 2017

I was not suppose to take this medicine because I still have my uterus. Now I have an abnormal pap smear. More test to come. What should I do?

The doctor may be liable However, you must first have actual damages. It's to early to tell with the single reading if you have lasting damages.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
If your doctor is aware of the results of the pap smear he will probably recommend that you discontinue the medication. As for liability for medical negligence, it would depend on whether he knew of the risk involved in taking the medication, the amount of the medication taken relative to the risk and whether he communicated this information to yourself.
DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.
DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
No. It sounds like you have not been damaged yet, and you can take steps to avoid cancer and you must do so to mitigate your damages, so keep track of your records and medical condition and consult with an expert to see if they can say that you have cancer as a result of the medication.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
What was the medication (need to know to research issue)?
End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
To answer the first question, there cannot be a case unless you were injured. Since you have not yet been diagnosed with uterine cancer, you have not been injured. To answer the second question, you should follow the advice of your doctors.
    If you can find a doctor who will testify that your doctor committed malpractice in prescribing the hormones, then you may make a claim for malpractice.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    If it was an FDA approved drug, your doctor is probably not responsible for any harm. The only way to get a meaningful answer is to take your medical records and meet with a local malpractice attorney.
    Joseph Kelly Levasseur, Esq.
    Joseph Kelly Levasseur, Esq. | Joseph Kelly Levasseur
    It depends on what he gave you for warnings, but yes, if known when prescribed you should have received a warning about the possibility of danger. Check what was given to you in writing because usually the pharmaceutical company's provide warnings. Good luck!