If my daughter was taken at birth, can I sign my rights over to my mom before she is lost to me forever to her caregiver? 2 Answers as of January 15, 2014

My newborn was placed with my aunt when born as I went to jail for a warrant. I spent a month in jail and when I went to court, they bypassed me on services because I failed prop 36. But it is both my wishes and her father's wish to voluntarily sign her over to my mom. She's currently with my aunt who wants to keep her but she and her husband are alcoholics and her husband was in rehab last March and didn't even complete 3 weeks but they gave him a certificate of completion. Can they adopt her? Can they deny my mom even though my mom lives out of state is a biracial couple (which my daughter is) and they have experience and knowledge of a drug exposed baby.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
If you act fast you can authorize your mother to file a suit in the county where the child resides to get custody of your child.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/15/2014
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
They will need to give you notice if they try to adopt your child. They would also have to give father notice. I would recommend that your mother file for custody of the child. It would be the best way to adopt her down the line. They usually will not grant adoption unless the child has lived in the household for a long period of time.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 1/15/2014
Click to View More Answers: