If my daughter registered car in her name is this considered community property? 6 Answers as of August 18, 2011

My daughter inherited money from grandmother my wife and I gifted her money to buy a car. All checks had sole and separate proter on them total of 3 checks. If she registered car in her name is this considered community property?

Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
If you can trace the source of the funds to a gift which is her separate property, then it would not be community property. You may wish to have something in writing to establish that it is intended to be separate property.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
Inheritances are separate property. If the gift was to your daughter alone, then it is separate property as well. That will generally make the car your daughter's separate property.
It doesn't sound like the vehicle is community property.
Is she married? The presumption is that any property acquired during a marriage is community property. However, if she buys it with separate funds and has prove that the vehicle was purchased with separate funds then she would be able to claim it was separate property.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
No. The court considers the source of the funds used to acquire the asset.
    Law Office of Rhonda Ellifritz | Rhonda Ellifritz
    Based on the facts you gave, that all the money was gifted to the daughter, and title was taken in her name, it is not community property. It is your daughter's property.