If my daughter is married do I still have too pay child support? 4 Answers as of November 07, 2011

My daughter is 20 and is already married. Do I still pay her child support? She is in NY and I am in CA.

Law Office of James L. Miller
Law Office of James L. Miller | James Miller
That would depend on where the order is out of and what the order says. If the order is out of California child support ceases when the child reaches 18 and is out of high school, or 19 if the child is still in high school.
It is unclear from your question where the support order came from. California child support ceases by operation of law when the child turns 18 or up to the age of 19 if still in high school. If you have an order from new York, you need to consult a family law attorney in that jurisdiction.
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
Child Support in California goes until the child is 18 years old AND out of High School, OR 19 years of age. Child support stops by operation of law, which means you just stop paying.
Your question depends upon what state established the order. If the child support order is a California order, it terminated no later than age 19, so it doesn't matter if she is married now or not. If it is a New York order, you would need to check the laws of that state (I am not licensed in New York).