If my daughter got bitten by a dog in Illinois, what options do I have? 5 Answers as of January 19, 2011

Should we just rely on homeowners insurance to take care of the incident, or is there something else we should do? We want to know what legal options do I have if my daughter was bitten by our neighbors dog. She received stitches on her arm and we had to take her to the ER.

Allegretti & Associates
Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
You can pursue a claim against the dog owner for your daughter's injuries (I assume she is a minor). It would most likely be covered by your neighbor's homeowners insurance, not yours. You can ask for damages for pain and suffering and medical bills and any future medical.
Barry Rabovsky & Associates
Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied. We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you.

Thank you for your email, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
You may pursue a claim against your neighbor, which would be covered under your neighbor's homeowner's policy. Such a claim may be brought as a strict liability claim under the animal control act, meaning that your neighbor would be responsible for the damages, whether or not the dog has ever bitten anyone else before. Such a claim can only be defeated if your neighbor can prove that your daughter provoked the dog into biting her. Otherwise, you can bring a negligence claim against your neighbor, if your neighbor knew the dog had bitten another in the past and did not prevent the dog from biting a second time or more.
Peckar & Abramson, P.C.
Peckar & Abramson, P.C. | David Scriven-Young
You may have the right to file a lawsuit to collect damages for your daughter's injuries. Please contact an attorney to discuss your legal rights.
Willens Law Offices
Willens Law Offices | Matthew Willens
Sorry to hear about your daughter's dog bite incident. The Chicago dog bite lawyers of Willens Law Offices understand what a traumatic experience is when someone is bitten by a dog.

The number of dog bite incidents continues to grow every year. According to the Center for Disease Control, more than 4.7 million people in the United States suffer personal injury from dog bites. Tragically, the majority of dog bite victims are children.

Anyone who has been bitten by a dog may experience physical injuries requiring physical rehabilitation, surgery, post traumatic stress disorder and emotional problems.

If you or a loved one has been the victim of a dog bite, you may be able to recover monetary compensation for your injuries.

If you have been seriously injured as the result of a dog bite, the Chicago dog bite lawyers of Willens Law Offices, P.C. can help protect your rights and assist you in recovering monetary compensation that you need and deserve. Contact us today for your FREE consultation at our phone number or e-mail us as soon as possible to find out how we can help you.