If my child's last day of high school is May 31st, is that when I stop paying child support? 8 Answers as of April 29, 2014

Child is already 18 years old. Last day of high school is May 31st however diplomas aren't issued until June 10th. Do I have to pay child support beyond May 31?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
John Ceci PLLC
John Ceci PLLC | John Ceci
I have to confess I don't know which date the Friend of Court will use. I could not find a specific answer on the child support formula manual. However you should contact your local Friend of Court office to make sure they know your child is graduating and to let them know both dates you mentioned. I am certain the cut-off date will be one or the other.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/29/2014
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You have to pay for June since the last day of school is not a guarantee of graduation.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/29/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
In Michigan the normal order is graduation from high school, which I would suspect means that you will be paying support into June.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/29/2014
John Russo | John Russo
When you were ordered to pay child support how was that done? Bet you had to go to court and the after everything was completed the court issued certain orders correct? So what makes you think that the order issued by the court way back then just stops when you'r child turns 18 and has graduated high school, you honestly believe the system knows that you're child out of the millions on it has turned 18 and graduated high school? You can't just stop paying there is a court order, you need to file a motion with the court to suspend payments based on the child's emancipation, if you don't and just stop on you'r own the system will continue to accruing an arrears which at some point could become a nightmare for you to fix. You should have filed the motion about 2 months ago but better late then never.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 4/29/2014
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
If the child is 18 and still in high school, you pay until they graduate or turn 19, whichever occurs first.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/29/2014
    Smith Law | Sharon K Smith
    Technically it runs until the high school graduation. You should also appear at the support office with a copy of the diploma to get the order dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 4/29/2014
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    Child support in Nebraska does not terminate until the child reaches 19 years of age.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 4/29/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    I think you should pay through June 30. That way there is no question that you have done your duty.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 4/29/2014
Click to View More Answers: