If my case status goes from pending to closed, does that mean my probation is over? 60 Answers as of May 29, 2013

I am on probation for a bad check. I just paid everything and my case status changes from Pending to Closed. I was ordered to 12 months of probation and have served 7 of them.

Austin Hirschhorn, P.C.
Austin Hirschhorn, P.C. | Austin Hirschhorn
The obligation to complete the term of probation does not end until the Judge enters an order terminating the probation. If you have completed all the conditions that were ordered you might try to file a motion for early termination which would put the issue in the hands of the sentencing judged.
No, you remain on probation until discharged. Closed is a annotation in the computer system that there are no pleadings or open request pending.
Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
Law Office of Michael E. Dailey | Michael E. Dailey
It looks like you have an early termination of your probation but I would definitely verify it with your probation officer and the court. Don't rely on a computer entry to justify not reporting.
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
Probation can be terminated early at the discretion of the probation officer. Speak to them about what your status is.
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
Dear Sir/Madam: No it does not mean that your case is over. If you were sentenced to 12 months probation, then your case will not be over until you do the 12 months.

You can hire an attorney to request early termination of probation. It sounds like the State Attorney offered you a Pre-Trial Intervention program which is offered to first time offenders.

When you enter that program your case is closed and will be dismissed once you complete everything. But you have to do all of the probation time unless the Court reduces it.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    It sounds like your case is over. You might want to check with the Clerk of the Court for the Department handling your case or check case status online. If the case status online is that your case is closed, your case is closed.
    You are not off of probation until the probationary period expires (12 months) or the Court releases you earlier.
    Reeves Aiken & Hightower | Arthur K. Aiken
    I would check with my probation officer. If he tells you that you have completed your probation, confirm that fact in a letter and move on.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    You are no longer on supervised probation but, be aware, if the sentencing judge said that you were to have no violations within one year, that year still applies.

If you receive a formal Discharge of Probation, then you can be certain that the stayed portion of your sentence cannot come back to bite you.
    You should check with your attorney to clarify the terms of your sentencing and probation status. In my experience, when probation has ended the court docket would read "proceedings terminated".
    James M. Osak, P.C.
    James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
    Sounds like your case was closed early. Better double-check with your probation officer.
    Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
    The case is over when a judge enters an order specifically terminating the probation.
    Law Office of Ronald G. Draper | Ronald G. Draper
    You should have a copy of all court orders about your case. If not ,go to the clerk of the courts office and get one. That tells you everything about your case. Also,why have you not asked the lawyer who represented you this question?
    Ask your probation officer.
    Gorman Law Group, P.C. | Troy T. Gorman
    I would not count on that.? It was likely "closed" because you were already sentenced and there is nothing pending, such as a review hearing.

If you violate the terms of your probation, you can still be held in violation and your case can be reopened.

You could check with your probation officer, if you have one, or the probation department at the court, but it would be best to lay low and just follow the terms of your probation for at least the 12 months.
    Vargas Law Office LLC | Ronnie Ismael Vargas
    Your probation agent will notify you when you have successfully completed the terms of your probation or not.
    Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
    You should check with the probation department, don't rely on some notation in a computer.
    LEATHERS LAW FIRM
    LEATHERS LAW FIRM | A. Wade Leathers, Sr.
    You need to check with your probation officer to see if closed status means that you are no longer on probation.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    Your probation is 12 months.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    For a definitive answer to whether you are still on probation, you should speak with your probation officer.
    Larry K. Dunn & Associates | Larry K. Dunn
    A person can be 'released' from probation early. The issue of restitution can be closed which does not automatically 'release' someone from probation. The Department of Parole and Probation or the sentencing court can provide verification if probation is completed once restitution has been paid.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    It is not automatically closed. You must make a motion for early termination of probation and get an order entered by the court.
    Law Offices of Mark L. Smith
    Law Offices of Mark L. Smith | Mark L. Smith
    This is simple math closed or not your sentence was 12 months probation so you have 5 months left.
    I would think so as they are trying to kick the non serious offenders out of probation supervision. With reallignment all the state guys doing PRISON time who get parole violations are going under the supervision of county probation instead of parole.

But the safest thing to do is to call your P.O. and if you weren't assigned one just ask for the General Duty officer. If they tell you it is over, write them a letter confirming what they told you.
    You need to check with your probation office, but your probation is likely still active.
    Law Office of Christopher G Humphrey PC | Christopher G Humphrey
    If you ate looking at records in the court, closed just means you are sentenced and nothing else is pending "before the court.". You are likely still in probation.
    Answer Applies to: Wyoming
    No it does not. Case closed has nothing to do with whether probation ends.
    Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates
    Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates | George Woodworth
    No, your probation ends only when the Judge says so. If he ordered 1 year probation, then your probation only ends at end of 1 year, or before if the Judge shortens the probation period.
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
    Not necessarily. Check the terms of probation paperwork that you received from the court when you were placed on probation.

It will specify the length of your probation. If there was an agreement that your probation would terminate upon full payment of restitution, then that too will be specified there.
    Law Office of James J. Rosenberger | James Joseph Rosenberger
    I suggest you simply call your probation officer and check into it. The court may have closed the case but that doesn't necessarily mean you're relieved of the probation requirement.
    Herschel Bullen
    Herschel Bullen | Herschel Bullen
    It sounds like you were on court probation, i.e., unsupervised. If that's the case check with the court clerk. He/she will tell you whether you're still on probation or not. It sounds like the case is closed and you are terminated, but only the court can tell you that. Check with the court clerk.
    The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC
    The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC | Elizabeth Zwiebel
    Not necessarily. Closed means all court fines & fees are paid. Your court referral officer or probation officer can answer whether your probation has been satisfied.
    The Gardner Law Firm, PLC | Brandon Gardner
    Sounds like you're off probation.
    Clinton Law Office | Michael Clinton
    You have 5 months to go.
    VALENTE SCHARG & ASSOCIATES | DEAN VALENTE
    Ask your PO. In MIchigan, even if probation has been closed if you get into new trouble again before the max has expired it is still possible to get a pv.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    Closed does imply that you are done. However, I would want far more certain verification that a status on your CORI. Errors are made all the time. Call your probation officer to confirm.
    The case is closed, but not your probation. If you violate it during its term, you will face charges.
    Hernan Law Firm | Jamie B. Hernan
    It would appear that a case marked "closed" has been concluded; however, if you have nothing else to suggest that you are supposed to be off probation, you should consider that you are on probation until you hear otherwise. Your question should probably be directed to your probation officer (although they may realize there was an error in prematurely closing the case). Sometimes, especially with cases involving restitution from bad checks, the cases will be closed once the victim's losses have been covered; however, it all depends on your sentence and whether there were any modifications to the sentence to allow for the closure.
    Salladay Law Office | Lance Salladay
    NO the probation continues to the end of the 12 months.
    Castro, Rivera & Associates | Sandra Rivera
    If you're speaking of the case status on the clerks computer then no, you are still obligated to complete your probation. The closed status only refers to the fact that the case has been resolved and that there are no pending court dates. If you violate probation then the case will be reopened to address it.
    Ask your probation agent.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney