If my boyfriend was hurt after getting hit by a car, what can he do about it now to get paid? 16 Answers as of September 17, 2015

My boyfriend needs medical attention because he has shoulder and hip pain with atrophy. What should he do to get help? While crossing an intersection on his bicycle two weeks ago, my boyfriend was hit by a man who has car insurance. Witnesses who were at the scene said the accident was not his fault. Though he did not have immediate injuries, he was still taken to the hospital for examination.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Contact the insurance carrier for the other driver and see what they are willing to do. Normally they will not pay anything, except for property damage, until they settle the entire case. If he has no medical insurance, he probably needs to see a local attorney who handles such type of cases to get a referral to a physician who treats on a lien basis [charges more money but does not require payment until case gets settled].
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/17/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Find an experienced personal injury lawyer very very soon. If your boyfriend still has marks or scars photograph them. Get a copy of the hospital's emergency room chart on your boyfriend.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 9/16/2015
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
If he is hurting, he needs to see a Dr. for medical attention. After he sees the doctor, he should consider consulting an experienced personal injury lawyer. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 9/16/2015
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
In MI if your boyfriend is involved in a collision with a motor vehicle, he is entitle to No Fault Benefits that will pay 85% of his lost wage, his medical bills (subject to any deductibles purchased by him or any relatives with whom he resides) and replacement services up to $20/day. Typically the insurer to pay this is his own motor vehicle insurer, or that of his spouse or that of any relative with whom he resides. If there is no such "household" insurance, then he gets his NFB from the insurer of the striking vehicle, then the insurer of the driver and lastly from the State Assigned Claims Plan. If he has a serious injury, he can also make claim/sue the owner/driver of the at fault vehicle for pain & suffering. This claim is in addition to the economic claims vs. whichever insurer is in the above mentioned priority order.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/16/2015
Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
If the accident was the other driver's fault, you should get legal counsel to pursue and build the claim. He can get compensation beyond bills, including pain and suffer etc. the attorney will investigate and make the claim for the most compensation.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 9/16/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    You need to retain a personal injury attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 9/16/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    He should retain a lawyer who specializes in injury cases; he will do better than trying to do it himself.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/16/2015
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    Contact a personal injury attorney, they will be able to help your boyfriend. However if he is worried about getting paid, he needs to rethink his approach. His focus should be on getting his shoulder and hip pain treated so he can get back to life as it was prior to the collision. Car wreck claims are not lotteries the people who receive a lot of money are typically injured very badly and that is not what you want. There are many factors to a bicycle vs car type wreck. If he continues to not get treatment the insurance company will argue that he was not hurt in this wreck but doing something else. Call a personal injury attorney today, the consultations are free.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 9/16/2015
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    Your boyfriend may have a case. Can you describe the medical attention that he will need as a result of the accident?
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 9/16/2015
    Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
    In Michigan, he would be entitled to No Fault Benefits which would include medical bills being paid, medical mileage, household replacement services and lost wages. He would have to file the appropriate paperwork with either his own auto insurance (if he has any) or that of a resident relative, otherwise against the insurance of the car that hit him. Atrophy does not occur overnight. It results from the inability to use a limb, which causes the muscle to deteriorate from disuse. If he has atrophy, it was cause before the accident and is unrelated. He needs a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/16/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Your boyfriend should be engaging an attorney with his potential claims and be making a claim against the drivers insurance.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/16/2015
    Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
    He should make a claim against the insurance company of the driver who struck him, or retain an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 9/16/2015
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    He should be covered by the insurance for the car. Consult a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 9/16/2015
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    In all likelihood, this matter can be pursued. Don't worry that it took a little while for the injuries to become apparent. That's not uncommon. It's very much worth discussing, toward pursuit.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/16/2015
    Robinette Legal Group, PLLC
    Robinette Legal Group, PLLC | Jeffery Robinette
    As a result of the adrenaline the body produces at the time of a collision, some injuries may not be felt or apparent until sometime later. It is essential that your friend seek immediate evaluation from an MD or Chiropractor who can asses the injuries received. The next step is for him to follow all doctor's orders and receive follow-up treatment. Your friend needs to contact a National Board Certified Trial Lawyer in West Virginia whose focus is personal injury law. Most competent attorneys offer a free consultation to evaluate a case, and if this attorney believes he can add value to the claim (more compensation in the end for the injured), the case will be taken on a contingency fee basis, meaning that the injured person pays nothing until they receive money from the claim. A good attorney will find all compensation due to your friend.
    Answer Applies to: West Virginia
    Replied: 9/16/2015
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    He should talk to an attorney as soon as possible.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 9/16/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney