If my boyfriend's student visa expired and I am a US citizen and we're trying to get married, what can we do? 11 Answers as of March 03, 2014

Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
You can file FORM I-130 petition concurrently with his I-485 green card application with CIS once you get married. The expiry of his F-1 visa will not prevent his green card application if you file for him.
As long as he entered the US lawfully, if you marry he will be eligible to adjust status to permanent residence within the US without having to go back to his home country.
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Get married and apply for the boyfriend. Since you are a citizen he can adjust status.
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
You can marry and he can apply for his green card. The entire process takes 3 months if done correctly. You should consult with an experienced immigration lawyer before getting married. The timing of the wedding can make a difference.
Law Offices of Rizwan M. Khalid
Law Offices of Rizwan M. Khalid | Rizwan Khalid
I would encourage you to see an immigration attorney. Any immigration attorney in the US may be able to help you. Please contact my office if you are interested.
    Alena Shautsova
    Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
    You may get married, and then you will sponsor your spouse.
    You would first need to marry. Once you are married, you would be able to help him obtain lawful permanent residence. I would encourage you to meet with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss the matter in more detail.
    Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
    Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
    After the marriage, you can file an immigrant petition for your husband. You should also prepare (and file together with the immigrant petition) the application packet for his green card. The forms and the instructions are at uscis.gov/forms The filing fee for the immigrant petition is $420, and for the green card application -$1070. You will need to show that your income is enough to support both you and your husband above the poverty level. If your own income is under the federal poverty guideline, you need to find someone who would become a co-sponsor for your husband.
    He must leave the country immediately. Then you apply for a fiance visa and once you get it, he comes back into the country, you marry and he can get a conditional green card. If you happen to stay married for two years, you can both petition to have the condition removed.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    Get married, and file a petition for alien relative.
    The Law Offices of Mary Lyn T. Sanga, A Professional Corporation | Mary Lyn Tanawan Sanga
    You may file a Form I-130 petition for him. Since you are a U.S. citizen, he may file his Form I-485 (green card) application together with your Form I-130 petition. It usually takes about 4-5 months for the processing. To know whether he is eligible to adjust status, I recommend that you consult an immigration attorney.