If my boyfriend offered a deferred probation on a felony charge will this affect his renewal of his green card and will he be deported? 10 Answers as of September 15, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
Your boyfriend should get a consultation with an attorney who practices in immigration law and knows immigration consequences of criminal convictions. A felony conviction will more likely than not make him deportable. To accurately predict the immigration consequences of accepting this plea agreement and to suggest the best legal strategy, one needs to know the details of the case, the charges pressed against you boyfriend, his criminal history, his family situation, and a lot of other information.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/15/2014
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
It might. He should talk to a lawyer that specializes in immigration before any plea.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/8/2014
Penn Law
Penn Law | Gigi Penn
He may be deported based on the felony conviction. Take your case to an experienced immigration attorney before you file the form.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 9/4/2014
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
It definitely could.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/4/2014
The Law Firm of Dmitriy Shakhnevich
The Law Firm of Dmitriy Shakhnevich | Dmitriy Shakhnevich
It is important to know what he pled to in order to know whether his crime makes him deportable.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/4/2014
    Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
    Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. A lot will depend on the nature of the felony and whether he needs to plead guilty to felony before the deferred probation begins. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced immigration and criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give them all of the facts surrounding your boyfriend's case. They would then be in a better position to analyze his case and advise you of his options.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/4/2014
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    In order to answer the question, I need to know more about the felony and the proposed sentence. Your boyfriend should not accept the plea until he has spoken with an experienced immigration attorney.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 9/3/2014
    Michael J. Harris, Attorney at Law
    Michael J. Harris, Attorney at Law | Michael Harris
    There is no such thing as "deferred probation." This is a complicated subject which cannot be adequately discussed in a quick e-mail. Your boyfriend must hire an attorney or expect tremendous and unnecessary suffering.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 9/3/2014
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    It depends what the charge is and where he is in his immigration status. He should definitely speak with an Immigration Attorney or a Criminal Defense Attorney who is versed in how criminal charges effect immigration status before taking the offer. It would also make a difference if they are making him admit he did the felony before he does whatever program to get it deferred or if they are just holding the case until he completes what he needs to.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 9/3/2014
    Montoya Shaffer
    Montoya Shaffer | Zachary C. Shaffer
    Deferred? Did they admit him into ARD? We need additional details to help you with your answer.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 9/3/2014
Click to View More Answers: