If my boyfriend moves in with me will it affect my divorce and child custody case? 9 Answers as of January 24, 2014

I have been separated for over two years now, however not filed legally. I am currently going through filing for divorce and child custody. If I let my boyfriend move in with me to help out with the bills, will that affect custody of my child? If so, how?

Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
In the event your boyfriend has any prior felonies or other issues such as substance abuse addiction, it could affect your custody matter. If you have more concerns, please just schedule a time for a consult with an attorney.
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
IF a custody fight happens(and that does sound like it probably will not happen) then of course the court will look at your household and if that includes your boyfriend, then all his positives and negatives will be considered.
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
Living with your boyfriend will not affect child custody unless your boyfriend has a violent criminal history.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
yes a third party of the opposite sex in a meticulous relationship is always an issue
Don't know. It shouldn't, but if your boyfriend is a drug abuser or a pedophile or has domestic violence issues, it could. Also, you may be in a jurisdiction that is more conservative than others and the judge may not care about it. I would talk with your attorney about the issue.
    Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
    Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
    Your boyfriend moving in will not by itself affect custody. But, if the father puts up a big fight about custody he will bring up every issue he can think of about your boyfriend. You need to be prepared. You should retain an attorney.
    Unless your boyfriend is a danger to the child, cohabitation with him should not risk your current custody arrangement.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Frances An
    It depends on what your boyfriend is like. Does he have a record? As long as he is an upstanding citizen, and does not abuse the children or have sex with you in front of them, it should be just fine.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    It probably will not affect the situation. The only exception is if it has some bad affect on your child.