If my boyfriend and I get married, will his child support be based on our total income together? 30 Answers as of June 03, 2013

If my boyfriend and I get married, will his child support be based on our total income together?

Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Armand Fried
Even if you are not married, if you live together, the financial forms require that he list any contributions (like rent or food) that a roommate makes to the household. So your income and contributions will affect what he has to pay.
No. His support obligation will be based solely on his income unless he quits his job and relies totally on your wealth for his support.
Alfred Law Firm
Alfred Law Firm | Janice Alfred
In Georgia only your boyfriend's income will be considered in child support calculations.
No, I get this question a lot. Child support is based on the income of the parent. Step-parents may have a moral obligation to a step-child, but there is no legal obligation.
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
A new spouse income is not considered to be a factor in a child support case. The support will continue to be based on the income of your boyfriend.
    No. Under Minnesota statutes, only the income of the parents is relevant to a determination of child support.
    No.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    In general, no. The rule in Washington is that the income of a new spouse has to be disclosed in any child support adjustment or modification, but, is generally not used for calculating child support. Naturally, there is an exception to this rule. If your new spouse asks that child support be "deviated," then, your income can be included.
    Law Offices of Mendlovitz & Sanchez
    Law Offices of Mendlovitz & Sanchez | James V Sanchez
    Subsequent spouse (or even live in partners) income is not taken into account to make or modify a support order except in extraordinary cases. An extraordinary case is where not taking that income into account would make the child suffer extreme or severe hardship. How it WILL come into play, is that if you are paying for some of the bills and expenses of the household, it reduces his expenses and therefore allows him to have more money available and will be reported on his income and expense declarations. However, that is the case if you live together and share expenses, regardless of marriage.
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
    Child support is based on his income and time share with his child.
    Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
    Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
    For purposes of child support calculations, only the incomes of the biological parents are used.