If marriage license was not filed, do I still need to get a divorce? 5 Answers as of May 15, 2014

I applied for a marriage license in 2010 in Michigan and never filed the papers with the court. We are no longer together and I now live in California. So do I have to file for divorce being that nothing was filed with the court?

Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
You need to consult Michigan law.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You need a MI lawyer to answer your question.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
If you were legally married in Michigan you would need to get a legal dissolution, which you could do in California if you are now a resident here.
B. Stuart Walker Law Office
B. Stuart Walker Law Office | Brian Stuart Walker
The question is whether or not you are considered married under Michigan law. This question is best answered by a family law attorney who is licensed to practice in Michigan.
The Michigan marriage registry should be checked to determine if there is a record of marriage. That will provide you answer officially but if you went through with a marriage ceremony and failed to turn in the completed license there may be an equitable issue. What do the parties want to do? Is the marriage at issue?