If a legal separation is filed in one county court and a guardianship is filed in a different court, in which court does the division of assets occur? 5 Answers as of October 23, 2017

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
It isn't clear what relationship the two cases have to each other but division of assets and debts can only be determined by a divorce court.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/23/2017
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
This is an interesting question as the reason for a guardianship case is not specified. Not knowing that doesn't really change the answer though. The best practice would be to let the judge in each case know of the other case so that judicial time and client expense is limited to one result. Nevertheless, any division of property in either case would be temporary, at least in my opinion, and could be subject to change at a later date.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 10/20/2017
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
In the court which has the legal separation.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 10/20/2017
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
Without any additional information, the only court that would have jurisdiction on a family law property division would be the one where the legal separation as filed.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/20/2017
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
Division of assets occurs in a legal separation case. Guardianship would be related to child custody and assets that the child may own.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/20/2017
Click to View More Answers: