If land contract home was lost in Chapter 7, who pays past due property taxes after discharge? 12 Answers as of March 11, 2014

I purchased a home on land contract. I filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy and moved out of the home. The property taxes were past due at the time of filing. My bankruptcy was discharged and the home owner still has not started foreclosure or forfeiture procedure. The county is still sending me tax bills. Do I have a legal liability since the home was discharged and the homeowner has changed the locks?

You have no personal responsibility. The county will have to look for the property for satisfaction.
As long as title to the property is in your name, you are responsible for paying all costs associated with the ownership obligations of the property that accrue after the bankruptcy was filed. This would include taxes. Since property taxes typically attach to the property itself as a lien, the taxes owed at the time of the bankruptcy would have to be paid when the property is sold.
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
If those taxes were for the period you were in the house(and they probably were since assessed in arrears) then you are responsible for them.
Garner Law Office
Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
Yes, you are liable for the property taxes until the deed has been transferred out of your name. You might ask the owner if you can do a quitclaim deed to save him/her the trouble of a foreclosure, understanding that s/he is going to get stuck with the property taxes. You have not provided enough facts to know whether your personal liability for the taxes has been discharged in the bankruptcy. If you listed them as a debt, you should tell the county to step sending you bills because they are violating the bankruptcy stay.
The tax liability travels with the land. Hence, you have no liability (I'm assuming the land contract was included in your bankruptcy filing, and the beneficiary of the land contract was named as a creditor).
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Your obligation to pay was discharged through the bankruptcy. Whomever is still title holder on the property is liable. Ultimately, the property may be sold to pay taxes.
    Detroit Lawyers, PLLC
    Detroit Lawyers, PLLC | Nick Best
    You are not personally liable to pay the past due property taxes. However, the taxes were not discharged by the bankruptcy and are attached to the property until either the home is foreclosed or the taxes are paid off at sale. If you have no interest in retaining the home, do not pay the taxes and wait for the foreclosure and subsequent eviction.
    If the house is still in your name then you are liable for the post filing debt.
    Heineman Law Office
    Heineman Law Office | Jeff Heineman
    Difficult to say without looking at your Land Contract. However, your name and address is likely on the tax roll because of the agreement. You could start things by changing the name and address back to the owner - see your county Register of Deeds. By the way, since you had a land contract, the owner does not need to do a foreclosure action unless case law would require him to do so. Again, without reviewing documents, it is difficult to give a more precise answer.
    Who ever eventually takes title will have to pay them.
    Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
    Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
    In most cases the taxes are owed against the property not you personally. The lender (or new owner if the property is sold at a foreclosure sale) will owe the back taxes.
    I would have to see all of the bankruptcy documents as well as the order of discharge part of the time that it would be possible to render an opinion. Obviously, there are still some issues left regarding your previous bankruptcy that should be taken care of.