If I've been served court paperwork for custody, what steps should I take to appeal? 5 Answers as of June 30, 2015

Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
You cannot appeal anything because you have been served with papers. You need to consult an attorney.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
You should read the paperwork you received and then see and attorney or file a response on your own.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
You can only appeal certain orders. ?What were you served with?
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
Your papers would need to be reviewed or more details are needed. Where you served a court order or only a new petition for custody. If it is a new case you have to file a Response within 30 days. If there is a hearing date, then your response is due 9 court days before the hearing. You should consult with an attorney about your documents.
If you were just served papers to go to court for custody, you file a response not an appeal. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your legal options.