If I'm a US Citizen and disabled veteran and I file for bankruptcy would it affect my wife's immigration status and or process? 2 Answers as of July 18, 2017

I'm a US Citizen and disabled veteran and my wife is from Thailand. I'm in the process of starting immigration proceedings to bring her to this country.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
You will need to find a joint sponsor.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/18/2017
Lana Kurilova Rich PLLC
Lana Kurilova Rich PLLC | Lana Kurilova Rich
You will likely need a joint sponsor to show that your wife will not become a public charge when she comes to the U.S. Anyone who is a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen and who earns sufficient income (as determined by the sponsor's own number of dependents) can become a joint sponsor. However, the problem is that, if you are unable to support your wife, the U.S. government will go after that joint sponsor for the financial support of your wife. So I generally advise joint sponsors to get their own legal counsel to make sure that sponsoring someone is really what they want to do, since this could become a real financial burden on them if the primary sponsor (you) is unable to support the foreign national.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/17/2017
Click to View More Answers: