If I'm suing someone for emotional abuse, what do I have to prove? 10 Answers as of May 21, 2013

I've been verbally and emotionally abused by my girlfriend for over 5 years. I finally broke up with her and I feel like she has taken the last 5 years of my life from me. I know I could have left but I didnt feel like I could. Is there a way I can get compensated for this time?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
It would be difficult at best to recover from your former girlfriend. One problem would be proving actual damages. The other real problem is if you were to get a judgment against her, how would you collect. I assume she does not have a large amount of money that she could pay a judgment with.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/13/2012
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
I held my hand on a hot stove for 5 years and burned my hand badly. Can I sue the manufacturer of the stove? Can I sue my mother? Perhaps I can sue President Obama. What do you think? If you stayed in a relationship for 30 seconds after experiencing emotional abuse, then you are silly. You obviously need to talk to someone who can help you regain your self respect. It is NOT your ex-girlfriend's fault. She is a sick puppy. It is YOUR fault, because you stuck around.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/11/2012
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
You should first consult with a lawyer who handles abuse cases for specific legal advice to see if you have a sufficient ground to sue.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 10/10/2012
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
Let me put it this way: if you were to show up in my office and ask me to take your case, I would turn it down. Even if you have some emotional weakness and she knew this and took advantage of it, and even if a psychologist would testify to all of that and also to the emotional damage that you suffered, I seriously doubt that a jury would buy it, especially because you weren't married and it went on for five years.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/10/2012
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
No compensation. Move on with your life. Leave her alone. She owes you nothing.
Answer Applies to: Montana
Replied: 10/9/2012
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    You made the bed. You will likely have to lay in it. to show intentional infliction of emotional distress you will need a trained professional (psychiatrist) to testify and that does not seem likely based on what you say. You made a bad deal. We all do at one time or another. So forget it and get on with your life. Live in the present rather than in the past.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Mike Yeksavich | Mike Yeksavich
    I doubt if you can find a lawyer to handle a case in which a full grown man says I put up with abuse for over five years.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
    The courts and the judicial system usually don't provide a remedy for negligently inflicted emotional distress absent physical injury.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Richard E. Damon, PC | Richard E. Damon
    It doesn't sound like good case to me.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/9/2012
Click to View More Answers: