If I’m a resident and I get a petition for my mother, how long does it take for her to get a green card? 12 Answers as of August 01, 2013

If she has a son and is a minor, does he get it as well?

If you are a resident, meaning green card holder, you cannot petition for your mother. You can only do that once you are a US citizen. The son will not be eligible for an immigrant visa with your mother. If he is also your brother, you can petition for him separately once you become a US citizen but the current processing times for a sibling of a US citizen is about 10-12 years whereas for a parent of a US citizen is about 1 year. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
There is no provision under US immigration law for you to file petition for your mother. As green card holder, you may file petition only for your wife and children. Only when you become a US citizen can you file petition for your parents.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
You cannot petition for your mother until you have become a US citizen.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You cannot petition your mother for a green card as a permanent resident. You must become a U.S. citizen and be at least 21 years of age to do so.
Immigration Law Offices, LLP
Immigration Law Offices, LLP | Fakhrudeen Hussain
You need to be citizen to file a petition for you mother. Your brother will not be able to immigrate based on your petition for your mother. You will have to file a separate petition for you brother and depending on what country you are from it can taken over 10 years for your brother to immigrate to US.
    Law Office of Bill Travis Klein
    Law Office of Bill Travis Klein | Bill T. Klein
    It appears you have a problem. Generally, a green card holder petitioning a qualified relative is subject to a priority date and placed on a waiting list for some years depending on the type of relative and country the relative is from. However, a green card holder can not petition their parent (generally only a U.S. Citizen can petition their parent). Please consult with an Immigration Attorney who can review your paper work, walk you through the process and help you fix the problem.
    You cannot petition for your mother until you become a U.S. citizen. Your minor brother would not be granted an immigrant visa. There are no derivative beneficiaries for immediate relative petitions.
    Perez-Jenkins Law, LLC | Patricia Perez-Jenkins
    You cannot apply for your mother as a Lawful Permanent Resident. You must be a citizen of 21 years or older in order to apply for parents.
    Elizabeth Guillen
    Elizabeth Guillen | Elizabeth Guillen
    Only US citizens can petition for their parents. This process takes more or less 4-6 months. If you were a US citizen and successfully petitioned for your mom, she could petition for her children once she becomes a resident.
    Preston & Brar, LLC | Jesse Brar
    Unfortunately, as a Permanent Resident you cannot petition for your mother. You have to be a U.S. citizen to petition for a parent. Also, when a son or a daughter files a petition for a parent, the parent's minor children are not included as derivatives on that petition. Which means that the minor child cannot accompany the parent. You would have to file a separate petition for your sibling.
    Coane and Associates
    Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
    A resident cannot file for their mother. Only a US citizen can file for their mother.
    Ben T. Liu Law Office
    Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
    You have to be a citizen first. Her minor son cannot be part of the petition.