If I'm only feeling a little sore after a car accident, should I still see my doctor? 17 Answers as of October 09, 2012

I got into a fairly minor car accident over the weekend. Nothing hurts really badly, but I am definitely feeling a little sore. Should I go to the doctor to be safe or should I just wait it out to see if it gets better?

Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
You should go to a physician, and at least get a thorough examination.
Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
You should go to the doctor just to be safe.
Abolutely. And when you go to the doctor, tell the doctor 1) how you were seated in the car, 2) in which directions your body was thrown around, and 3) every little ache and pain that you feel. If you don't, and if in a month or 2 you start having problems, the insurance company will say that it has nothing to do with the accident. You want to lay down an accurate basis against which to compare any future problems.
Why you asking lawyers Ask a doctor.
When in auto collision always go to ER or family dr. to be checked out. If you need care they will tell you. and in any event it will be established that you were hurt.
    It's better to go to your doctor and get a clean bill of health than "wait it out" and give your PIP insurance an excuse for not paying for the medical bills.
    This is a medical question not a legal question. That being said, if your pain gets worse and becomes chronic, the defense sometimes questions whether the accident caused your injury, or whether you are injured at all, based on the fact that you did not immediately seek medical treatment.
    If you have any serious injury you will be in a great deal of pain within a few days. You can go to your doctor and get x-rays if you feel any pain, but you should have exchanged insurance information or gotten their license plate or you will not know who to sue.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    Like chicken soup it could not hurt to get checked out . Your own automobile medical payments coverage should pay . If you then make a claim against the other driver your insurance would then get reimbursed assuming accident not your fault. That reimbursement in Illinois would likely be less than 100% because of Illinois Fund Doctrine .
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    Go see a doctor immediately. There may be injuries that the pain is hiding. The best practice is to be safe and double check.
    The S.E. Farris Law Firm
    The S.E. Farris Law Firm | Spencer E. Farris
    Just because you don't hurt immediately after a wreck doesn't mean you aren't injured. You should have a doctor check you out immediately- if you aren't hurt, it won't matter, but if you are, it could save your life.
    The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
    I suggest that you go see a doctor immediately to ensure that you are ok. It is better to receive a diagnosis and treatment now.
    Arkady Itkin
    Arkady Itkin | Arkady Itkin
    Absolutely. Often, an injured person doesn't feel pain at all until days or even weeks later. It's important to be evaluated as soon as possible, and to have your x-rays done to make sure there are no fractures or other significant injuries that you don't feel yet, and if you do - attend to them promptly.
    Frank Law Group, P.C.
    Frank Law Group, P.C. | Brett E. Rosenthal
    Would go just to be safe b/c the bigger the gap b/t accident and first treatment, they (carrier) will just deny your claim, especially if you have any preexisting issues.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C. | Steven A. Schwartz
    This is not really a legal question. My general answer is that your health is most important; get yourself checked out.
    Blaske & Blaske, P.L.C.
    Blaske & Blaske, P.L.C. | John F. Turck IV
    Yes. Go see a doctor right away. You might want to ask your doctor about being referred to a physiatrist (physical medicine & rehab). It's most important to get as better as you can as quickly as you can, even if it comes at the expense of a potential claim you could make. Life matters more than lawsuits, so put your health first, as always.