If I'm being sued by ex-boyfriend, must I answer paperwork from the lawyer? 12 Answers as of April 17, 2013

I am being sued by an ex-boyfriend for breach of contract. His lawyer has now sent me Plaintiff's Request for Production, Plaintiff's Request for Admissions, and Plaintiff's Interrogatories. Do I have to answer these requests? It is basically asking me for proof of the debt (along with bank account information - which I am NOT comfortable giving them), when I feel that he should have the burden of proof. Could/Would there be legal ramifications for not responding?

Yes, you must respond to them. If you do not, your boyfriend's attorney can get a court order ordering you to respond and can ask for monetary sanctions against you. The judge can also strike your answer and enter a default judgment if you continue to refuse to respond. I suggest that you hire an attorney to help you with this.
This is NOT a question for this forum, as this is the criminal law defense forum. ?You are being sued in a civil matter, wherein your ex wants money out of you. ?You should consult with an attorney familiar with civil law, who can discuss your options and represent you before the civil court.
There are legal ramifications for not responding, and for representing yourself, when you do not know what you are doing.
There are legal ramifications for not responding. You need to retain an attorney to represent you and protect your interests.
If you do not answer these papers, then they can get a judgment against you AND attorneys fees for not answering the papers. Yes you have to answer them.
    You need to respond. You need an attorney.
    The legal ramifications of not responding properly, even if that is with an objection, is that you will lose the case. Clearly there is a major issue going on between you and your ex boyfriend and therefore you should engage in attorney.
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    Y es, there may well be ramifications for not responding. It would be a good idea to speak to a local civil attorney in your area.
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    You need counsel, and the sooner the better. These requests are part of the discovery process. An attorney can help you determine if they are overly broad or intrusive, but no, you can not simply refuse to participate in the discovery process of the lawsuit.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    You are required to respond to plaintiff's request for this information. If you do not respond, the Court could sanction you and you may lose the case. It is appropriate to file written objections to the questions. For example, you could object to the request for bank records on grounds of confidentiality. But where the issue is confidentiality, most courts require the parties to enter into a stipulation wherein they agree to keep the information confidential and use it only for purposes of the litigation. Thus, you will not get away with failing to disclose the information. You are correct that the plaintiff has the burden of proof. But he can meet this burden by demanding that you produce evidence in your possession that proves his case. The mere fact that plaintiff has the burden of proof does not prevent him from requiring you to produce evidence in your possession that could help him sustain his burden of proof. Indeed, if you refuse to produce relevant evidence, you could be deemed to have obstructed the discovery process, which could cause you to lose the case. Our legal system requires both parties to fully disclose to each other all information and records in their possession that might be conceivably relevant to the case. Bottom line-yes you must provide answers and failure to do so could give rise to serious adverse consequences. It sounds like you are defending this case without a lawyer. This is a terrible idea. You cannot possibly defend yourself in a case like this without legal counsel. The plaintiff obviously has a lawyer involved in the case. You need to immediately retain counsel-otherwise you are going to have great difficulty defending yourself. Indeed, your question shows that you do not even understand the basics regarding how the legal system works. I am available to represent you if you wish to retain us. Our hourly rates are competitive.
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    Yes you must answer or you will be defaulted and a judgment will issue against you. I hope that you answered the complaint.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    If you do not respond then you can lose by default. If you have concerns you are suppose to file a motion for a protective order, not ignore the requests.