If I will be filing Chapter 7 should I count my boyfriend’s income because he is giving me regular monthly child support? 13 Answers as of June 21, 2017

I will be filing Chapter 7 soon but I'm not so sure if I should count my boyfriend’s income at all. He and I have been together for 5 years and we have a 3 year old child. We don't live together anymore (he's working out of state), but we used to the first 3 years of the relationship. He gives me regular monthly child supports (verbal agreement only). Daughter and I are living or renting a room.

Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
You need not include the boyfriend's income but you do need to include the child support.
Since you're not living together, you're required to report only the amount he's paying each month as a voluntary child support.
Gleissner Law Firm, LLC | Luke Gleissner
Yes, you should include the child support in your bankruptcy schedules. It should not affect your ability to file a Chapter 7. Further, if you fail to disclose the child support, even though it is not court ordered, this could be considered a false representation that could result in some rather harsh treatment.
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
All income must be listed.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
You count the support you are receiving as income. You do not count your boyfriend's income. Before you file anything I suggest you see a local knowledgeable bankruptcy attorney for advice. Bankruptcy is fact specific law and is not something you want to jump into uniformed.
    Just add the child support on the proper form. Good to consult a skilled BR lawyer.
    Certainly, you would count the child support in your budget and on the Means Test. I cannot figure out why you might consider including your boyfriend's income unless you somehow have control over it, but if you do, my hat is off to you!
    No, only legally married people need to report the incomes of spouses. You do need to report the money he gives you.
    Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
    Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
    Yes, when you file any kind of bankruptcy you are required to disclose all sources of your income.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    Child Support has to be listed in the Means Test, but is then excludable from the Means Test so it does not count as income towards you. I always suggest FULL Disclosure of any and all income and following the appropriate methods of exclusion to stay below Median income.
    You have to report the amount he sends you since you are living apart.
    For the means test, you need to report all regular income that you receive. That is also true on Schedule I which is the income portion.
    OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
    Yes, if he is paying you on a regular basis, you include that as income.