If I went to the mall with a friend and we got caught shoplifting, will shoplifting be on my record forever? Will it affect my future jobs? 1 Answers as of February 22, 2017

I went to the mall with a friend and we got caught shoplifting. Together it was something like $175. She had 3 sweaters, socks, a pen, and lot of makeup. I had a tiny stuffed animal, a necklace, and socks. Mine was below $25. This was my first time ever shoplifting and my friend had done it before (nothing too major). We are both 15 years old. Will this stop me from getting a job?

The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Yes, if you plead guilty to shoplifting, you will have a conviction for stealing on your permanent criminal record, and that will prevent you from getting a job, renting an apartment, and getting federal student loans for college. Hopefully, because you are 15, your case will be prosecuted in juvenile court where they will probably just put you on probation. However, if your case is prosecuted in "regular" court, you will need to hire an attorney to represent you if you want to avoid ending up with a conviction for stealing.