If I was walking in my apartment complex and got hit by a car, is it true by law the complex has to pay for my medical bills? 20 Answers as of May 13, 2013

Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
Not any Michigan law of which I am aware. Generally, when you are hit by a motor vehicle you file and Application for Benefits with your own car insurer and they pay your PIP Benefits (ie: wage loss, medical expenses and replacement services). If you do not have an insured motor vehicle, there are several other priorities (such as a resident relative's coverage, the vehicle which struck you's coverage, the driver who operated the vehicles coverage, the Assigned Claims Plan of the State of Michigan, etc.). If you need to explore which priority applies, I suggest you consult local counsel in Michigan. Note none of the priorities of coverage, of which I'm aware, include the apartment complex.
No, its not true. Probably the driver is responsible.
Who told you that? Somebody who dislikes the complex?
Not true. The person who hit you, if as a result of carelessness, is liable. If you were careless in any way you lose.
Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
Not enough information to determine. Why would you not simply sue the driver and owner of the car?
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    If you were on property owned by the complex and if the complex has a liability insurance policy with medical payments coverage, then you would have that coverage up to the policy limit available to you, regardless of any party's fault.
    Hone Law Firm
    Hone Law Firm | John S. Hone
    No. I know of no law that would require them to pay your medical bills unless they were negligent.
    Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata
    Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata | Stan Lopata
    No but, depending on the circumstances they might be responsible. The driver of the car that hit you may also be liable for your expenses and pain and suffering.
    LAW OFFICES OF ARMAN MOHEBAN | ARMAN MOHEBAN
    No. I believe the driver of the car is responsible for your injuries.
    No, this is not true. You have to pay your own medical bills unless someone else was negligent in causing the accident. If the driver of the car was negligent, the driver of the car would be liable. On the other hand, if you walked out in front of the car, and the driver was not negligent, then the driver is not liable. If whoever maintains the apartment complex was negligent, for example if the parking spaces were designed and maintained in a way that made it likely cars would hit pedestrians, then the apartment complex might be liable. Otherwise, the complex has no responsibility for your bills.
    Not unless it was the complex's car. Your claim is against the owner and driver of the car.
    Gary L. Platt, Attorney at Law | Gary Platt
    I am not aware of any law that requires the owner of an apartment complex to pay your bills if you are hit by a car. The responsible party should be the car's driver and owner. You might also be held partly responsible if you were not paying attention in an area where cars are supposed to travel. There is a slight possibility that the building owner might have SOME liability for negligence if he/she created or allowed to exist some dangerous condition on the premises related to vehicle travel and pedestrian travel, but generally speaking the building owner is NOT responsible for your injuries caused by being hit by a car.
    No. You need to prove the complex was somehow at fault. However, the complex may have a premises liability policy that will cover the medical bills only. Check with them.
    It is not
    No, the complex has to be shown to be negligent. If the car was being driven in a normal fashion and the driver just did not see you in time there is absolutely no negligence by the owners of the complex.
    Lawrence Kahn Law Group, P.S.
    Lawrence Kahn Law Group, P.S. | Lawrence Kahn
    Not necessarily. If the apartment complex has no negligence, then they have no duty to pay. The driver who hit you is responsible assuming there was no negligence on your part.
    Johnson & Johnson Law Firm, PLLC | Richard Johnson
    There may be a no-fault premises medical coverage that might apply to you, with a stated policy limit of a certain amount of money, such as up to 5K or 10K IF you were struck as a pedestrian by a car, then the insurance on the car would pay your medical bills, IF the car had Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. IF the car that hit you did not have PIP, then if you had your own car that had PIP, then your insurer will be obligated to pay your bills under your PIP coverage. Then, you would have a liability claim for your general damages against the driver of the car that hit you.
    No, it is not true. However, the complex may have medical payments insurance that will cover some of your medical bills up to the policy limits merely because the accident happened on their property.
    What did the complex do to cause the accident? They have to have a duty to you and, acted negligently which resulted in you being injured.
    Koning & Jilek, P.C.
    Koning & Jilek, P.C. | Jonathan Neal Jilek
    No, that is not true.