If I was served with divorce papers, what should I do at this point? 21 Answers as of June 16, 2015

I have never been to court for anything in my life. I was just served with divorce papers from my wife, who apparently filed earlier this week after two months of separation. I have no idea how the divorce process proceeds. We have 2 children who have been staying with her. What do I need to do from here?

Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
Please be advised that your paperwork states that you have 20 days to Answer the Complaint for the Divorce. As a result, you will be required to file an Answer and potentially your own Counterclaim for Divorce. You can look online at the Clark County Family Court's Self-Help Link and it will give you forms to review, download and use for the Answer/Counterclaim. If you can afford to hire an attorney, that is also something you should consider.
Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
You need to file an answer to the divorce complaint so you don't have a default judgment entered against you. If you and your wife can agree on things, you can prepare a consent judgment which you both can sign.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
You need to file your response. ?Consult with a family law attorney ASAP and bring them the documents that you were served. ?There are legal time frames for to respond. ?The clock starts ticking when you are served.
First things first: consult an experienced family law attorney without delay. It's almost always a good investment. He or she can review the relevant facts in more detail than is possible here. And since children are involved, it's even more important than otherwise to have good advice and representation. Your Answer is due 20 days after the date you were served with the divorce papers.
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
HIRE an attorney ASAP. You have 21 days to file a response to the court or she wins everything she asked for.
    Meet with an experienced family law attorney in an office consultation to explore your legal options.
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    You need to find a good divorce attorney.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
    Interview several attorneys in your area that practice family law hire the one you feel comfortable with.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    Get a lawyer asap. If you can't do that, then respond to the petition, make a motion for temporary orders to establish a parenting plan and child support order and make sure you meet all deadlines.
    Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
    Once served with a divorce complaint, there are strict requirements that must be met (time limits, etc). You should consult with an attorney to review the documents and determine how best to respond and proceed.
    Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
    Talk to a lawyer who Will go through a lot of questions with you. You need to file a response with the court within 30 days of being served.
    Law Offices of Marshall R. Hoekel, LLC | Marshall Hoekel
    You need to hire a divorce lawyer to file responsive papers for you. I work in the St. Louis Metropolitan Area.
    Retain a good divorce attorney, not just an attorney, or try answering the complaint yourself and also file a counter claim.
    John T. Belton, Attorney at Law | John T. Belton
    You need to file a responsive pleading if you have been served with a complaint. I strongly recommend to contact a domestic relations attorney for assistance.
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    You need to file an answer within 30 days and possibly a counter-complaint. It is best to consult with an attorney in person.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    You need an attorney. Either hire one or get free assistance in self-representation from the Family Law Facilitator at your Courthouse.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    You need to be sure to let the Court know that you want to be involved in the process and you probably should get a temporary order giving you some parenting rights with your children if you are not seeing them on a regular basis.
    John W. Lee, PC
    John W. Lee, PC | Kim A. Lewis
    You should schedule an appointment with an attorney who specializes in domestic relations cases. Time is of the essence as you have a limited time to file a response in the divorce case.
    GordenLaw, LLC
    GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
    Talk with an attorney right away about your options. In Nebraska, being served with divorce papers starts two important deadlines: 30 days for you to file an Answer to protect your rights and ensure she does not get a default divorce where she receives everything she requests; and 60 days for the waiting period to expire (so that a hearing can be held). If you have children, you must comply with the Parenting Act, including completing and filing a certificate for the co-parenting class and mediation if you do not agree on custody/parenting time.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    Given what you have said I would suggest that you immediately hire an attorney to help you out and guide you through the process. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
    You need to get a lawyer and file a response to protect your rights.