If I was recently married to a citizen, can I stay here with my wife after my Visa expires? 7 Answers as of January 18, 2011

I recently got married in North Carolina to a US Citizen. I have a B1/B2 visa that expires in eight years but I am permitted to stay here until May of this year. What do I have to do to be able to stay here with my wife so that it does not affect my visa?

Since you are married to a U.S. citizen and you entered the U.S. legally you are entitled to apply for permanent residency. This can be done in a one-stop process where your wife petitions for you and you apply to adjust your status from B-1/B-2 to conditional permanent resident. In most jurisdictions this is taking less than six months and while it is pending you will get a work card and travel permit.

We would be happy to assist you in the process. Contact me for the details and I will advise the fees and documents needed to get this on file for you.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
She need to file a petition on your behalf, and you should apply for adjustment of status a soon as possible.
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
You can apply on form I-485 for "adjustment of status" to obtain the Green Card, provided your wife also files form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative. Your can find all necessary forms and the instructions on the website of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service at www.uscis.gov. Along with those two forms you need to also submit various other forms (G-325, I-864, I-765, I-131) and evidence. Please read all instructions very carefully and if there are any questions you should contact an immigration lawyer to help you with this process.
Apply for I130 + I485 right now. Making sure you bear the burden to prove your case. If you are not sure, hire a lawyer to help you!
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
File for adjustment.
    The Vega Law Firm
    The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
    You must file to adjust status under 245(a). This allows you to stay in the U.S. With your U.S. Citizen spouse while you wait for legal permanent residency. You will be able to change your status inside the U.S. As you entered with permission.
    Remaining in the U.S. after your visa expires does not disqualify you from being petitioned by your US Citizen spouse and applying for your Green Card. If you remain in the U.S after May when you stay expires that your visa is automatically canceled even if it is good for 8 more years. I would recommend you your file for your Green Card as soon as possible.