If I was recently arrested for my first OUI, can I join a first offenders or diversionary program? 9 Answers as of August 27, 2015

I just got caught speeding by a police officer. She could smell the alcohol on my breath, so she pulled me out of the car. I failed the field sobriety tests, so she made me do the breathalyzer, and I blew a 0.1 BAC. I was arrested for a OUI, but I wanted to know. Can I join some type of diversion or first offenders program?

That would be a no.
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
In MN we only have DUI's, Refusal to Test and over .08 offenses. There is no diversion for dui's in MN. Please contact an attorney asap.
Depending on the court and jurisdiction, getting diversion or a First Offender Program on a DUI is highly unlikely. However a good criminal defense attorney "may" be able to get the charges reduced to a wet reckless.
That will depend on your prosecutor and ability of your defense attorney.
Some cities have diversion programs. Otherwise, you will be sentenced to have a drug and alcohol evaluation with treatment, if necessary. You will also be fined and have to do community service. It is likely that you will have to have an interlock device for your car. Probation will include random drug and alcohol screening. Meaning you cannot do drugs or alcohol while on probation.
    Instead of worrying about diversion, you need to focus your attention on how you can avoid being convicted. You need to hire a DUI specialist, and do it soon because you have only 10 days to save your license.
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    Illinois has DUIs, not OUIs. Are you talking about an Illinois case? Illinois first offenders can get a sentence called supervision which would avoid a conviction. You will need to retain an attorney who will attempt to gain this for you.
    It depends on the jurisdiction you are in, in Michigan do we do not have a first offenders or diversion program and therefore you will have to defend yourself and seek to mitigate the damages to the extent possible caused by your actions.
    In some counties they have a Drug Court which is a kind of deferred prosecution. They require that you be in some kind of program to help you abstain. Good Luck.