If I was in my first hit and run, what will my charge look like in California? 10 Answers as of April 14, 2011

I have my court date for my hit and run offense. What will my charges be because this is my first offense?

Law Office of David Swanson
Law Office of David Swanson | David Swanson
If no one was injured, the charge would be a misdemeanor violation of vehicle code section 20001 or 20002. The punishment or outcome is very much related to the actual facts of your case. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.
That depends on a lot different factors! Was there any injuries in the accident. Was the car moving or parked? How much damage was done? These questions need to be answered before we can answer your question.
First or 100th, hit and run is hit and run. What will happen can depend on type of hit and run violation [felony, misdemeanor and whether some one was injured]. see an attorney.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
If noone was injured they will charge you with a misdemeanor ( V.C. 20002a ) We can usually get those reduced to an infraction, thereby avoiding a criminal record. To get more info or to retain our servioces call Tom Mueller.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
Check out 20002 (a) of the Vehicle Code. You should hire an attorney for this type an offense. It is a misdemeanor.
    You would likely be charged with VC 20002. If it is filed as a misdemeanor, the consequences can include jail time, heavy fines, probation, and restitution to the victim. If there was injury involved, you could be charged with a felony depending on the circumstances. This is a serious matter. You should consult an attorney in your area for a more detailed conversation where you relay what happened.
    The charge will likely be a Hit and Run, Vehicle Code 20002(a). Consider hiring an attorney, who may be able to help you reduce the charge to something else that looks better, because a Hit and Run has a moral element, and schools/employers don't like it.
    You will be charged with a hit and run. If there was an injury you are in trouble? Did you have a valid license at the time? If not, more trouble. Get a lawyer or the Public Defender.
    It will be for hit and run. First offense does not really figure in as far as the charge. Obviously that will be a consideration when it comes to the offer you receive to settle the case and at sentencing.
    When charged with a felony if there were injuries, you potentially face one or more years in prison if convicted. When charged with a misdemeanor if there were no injuries, you potentially face up to 6-12 months in jail and fines, suspension of license, etc. on each count. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts and evidence. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain for you, or take it to trial. If serious about doing so, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have. If you can't afford private counsel, you can apply for the Public Defender.