If I was in a crash, can I defend myself from a potentially fraudulent lawsuit? 3 Answers as of March 23, 2011

I accidentally bumped into another car with mine. No damage was done to either vehicle, and no one was injured. I did not get the other persons insurance info because I was so anxious, but she got mine. Can I protect myself from being set up for a fraudulent suit? I am concerned the other driver may try to concoct something that did not happen.

Allegretti & Associates
Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
The best thing you can do is report the matter to your local police and your insurance company. They will need the date, time and place of the accident as well as the other parties name and address.
Willens Law Offices
Willens Law Offices | Matthew Willens
I would suggest that you let your insurance company handle this matter. That's why you pay premiums.
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Cary J. Wintroub
At this point there is nothing to do other than photograph your property damage. If you receive notice of claim for injuries then I strongly urge you to notify your insurance carrier as they will defend you. Any allegations made must be proven factually, medically and legally. Accordingly I would not be concerned about a"potentially fraudulent lawsuit."