If I was in a car accident more than a week ago, can I go to the doctor and have the other party be responsible for the bills? 20 Answers as of February 10, 2014

Can I seek medical attention if I feel any discomfort after being in an accident (through no fault of mine) if it happened more than 7 days ago, without being responsible for the medical bills that may incur for the doctor/hospital visit?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
In Michigan, your own auto insurance is responsible for accident related medical bills not covered by your health insurance. As far as the one (1) week delay, as long as you explain to the doctor that there were no other accidents or injuries in the intervening time, it should not be a problem. If you are not in Michigan, then I suspect that you can claim against the other driver for medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/10/2014
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
As the other responses correctly stated, you are liable to the Dr. for the bills but some Dr.s will work on a lien basis that you do not have to pay anything and they get there payment from the settlement of the case. A plaintiffs attorney can refer you to such Dr.s or you will have, on your own, to call several physicians to see if they will do so. They often will inflate their billing from what they would charge you if it was a cash payment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/24/2014
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
If you are in Michigan it is your vehicle insurer that typically will pay for your crash related medical testing/treatment if you have purchased full medical coverage. If you purchased coordinated medical PIP coverage, then it is typical that your health insurer will be primary. There can be some exceptions to these general rules depending on the specific facts of the incident and the coverage available.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/22/2014
John Russo | John Russo
Retain counsel, it will cost you nothing until settlement and even then you will receive 3 to 4 times more with then without, or try on your own and screw everything up.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/22/2014
Law Offices of Damian Boz, PC
Law Offices of Damian Boz, PC | Damian Boz
First, if you are injured, you should most certainly seek medical attention. Second, a determination of who will be responsible for the medical bills depends on whether you have medical insurance, auto insurance, and what types of coverage's are available to you. Ultimately, if you are not at fault for the accident, an attorney will seek to have the cost of medical care covered through filing a claim against the insurance company of the other party.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/22/2014
    Pennington & Martinez
    Pennington & Martinez | Dennis A Pennington
    You are not too late to seek medical treatment. However, you would be the responsible party to pay the medical bills, subject to being reimbursed if you are able to successfully prove that the other party caused the accident and that your medical treatment is related to the accident.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
    Yes. Get to the doctor ASAP, and be sure to give a complete and accurate history of your problems.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 1/24/2014
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    Yes you can. However, the more you delay the odds of being injured will be argued against you by the insurance company. Normally folks that are injured seek diligent medical attention. That being said, if you feel injured you should seek immediate medical help and legal help.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    No. No insurance company will pay any bill until you are ready to settle the case. Bill your group health insurance.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Ty Wilson Law
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    I would say this if you are hurting get to a doctor ASAP.? If not, drop it. The one week delay is not fatal but if you have to litigate this matter then a jury is going to wonder, why did it take you one week to get to the doctor?
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 1/24/2014
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    If you are hurt from the accident, you should definitely go to the doctor. And the sooner the better, so that the doctor will have no problem relating whatever is wrong with you to the accident. The longer that time goes on after the accident the harder it is for the doctor to relate it to the wreck. However, while the liability for the medical bills may ultimately be the other driver's responsibility, his or her insurance company will not pay you until you release them. And you cannot do that until you reach maximum improvement in your condition. So, in the meantime you have to pay for the medical bills either out-of-pocket or your thru your Insurance and wait to be reimbursed later on down the road after you reach maximum improvement in your condition. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Law Offices of David W. Barlow
    Law Offices of David W. Barlow | David W. Barlow
    When you are injured due to another's negligence you are entitled to compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and wage loss. ?As long as the treatment you receive is related to your injuries from the accident, then the negligent driver is liable for those bills.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Penglase & Benson, Inc.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc. | John Benson
    If you were in an auto accident you can and should see a doctor. Most hospitals only look for broken bones. Soft tissue injuries don't normally show up for a day or two after the collision. Therefore you should see a doctor to get pain relief and to pick up those things the hospitals miss. The other insurance company will not pay for this until they accept liability which could take months. You should have medical coverage under your car insurance. Open a claim with them and use that money now for your medical expenses.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
    You can certainly seek treatment for problems without regard for the time that has passed since the accident as often, problems arise on a delayed basis. You will have to pay or have your insurance pay for any treatment prior to settlement of your claim as you are the responsible party in eyes of provider. Hopefully those expenses will make up part of your claim and be reimbursed. Statute of Limitations is 2 years from date of accident.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Cloon Law Firm
    Cloon Law Firm | Bryson R. Cloon
    If you live in Kansas and have car insurance, then your own company will pay all medicals up to your limit and then seek reimbursement from the at-fault party.
    Answer Applies to: Kansas
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    If it is clearly the other's fault, his or her insurance co. should cover all bills and pay you for your pain and suffering. You'll be better off with a personal injury lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Padove Law | Burton A. Padove
    If you have med pay coverage through your own automobile insurer, you would not be personally responsible for any amount that is covered.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    McMahan Law Firm
    McMahan Law Firm | Van D. McMahan
    You should get checked out by a physician. The at fault driver or that person's insurance company should be responsible for your medical bills. However, if the at fault driver did not have insurance then you may be on your own. Also, you should check with your own insurance company to see if you have medical coverage. And, you need to see an attorney to handle this the right way.
    Answer Applies to: Tennessee
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Utah Injury Lawyer
    Utah Injury Lawyer | Will Rodgers
    Yes, go get medical care immediately. Then, contact an injury lawyer to talk about your case.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    As between you and the doctor you are always responsible to the doctor. If you have a genuine hurt, see a doctor and keep seeing one until you are well. Do as he says do. If this is a clear case of liability you should get a settlement which should be more than enough to pay your bills and put a little in your pocket for pain and suffering. See a good PI lawyer. The longer you wait the more likely it is that the computer at the insurance co will claim you were hurt by falling out your back door rather than the auto case. So do it now and don't wait any longer.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 1/22/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney