If I was in a car accident and my attorney is being no help, what can I do? 21 Answers as of September 01, 2015

I hired a lawyer to help me deal with the insurance company after I got in a wreck last July. However, he has not helped me at all, and the case is far from being settled. If I cannot settle this or find another way to get some money, I'm going to be in more trouble because I cannot pay my bills and my lawyer is absolutely no help.

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
You can always hire a new lawyer, who will help you in dealing with the lawyer who is not cooperating.
Get another attorney to represent you.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
Are you done with all medical care? How do you expect your attorney to "get Money" if you are not. He cannot even order your records until you are done treating and he is able to discern your permanent injuries.
End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
Have you talked with another lawyer about taking over your case? Depending on all of the facts, your current lawyer may have forfeited his rights under your attorney fee contract if he has not fulfilled his end of the bargain.
Make an appointment, sit down with your lawyer, explain your needs and ask what the game plan is. If you are not satisfied, get another lawyer.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    Well, you need to talk with your lawyer, and determine whether he's willing to get moving on your matter. Some lawyers just don't move things along. If you get the sense that he's that way (and you may sense that by now, no matter what he?s telling you), then you need a new lawyer. It's up to you, but it's your case. If you feel it?s not being timely pursued by this attorney, you can get another one. In doing so, look for responsiveness at the outset. If someone isn't responsive to your needs and questions as you're inquiring, it won't get any better once they have your case.
    Why does the answer seem simple? Fire your lawyer and hire one in whom you can have more confidence. You might let your present lawyer know why you are dissatisfied and give him or her a chance to fix it. Good Luck.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    Sometimes delays are not the fault of your attorney, but sometimes they are. You are entitled to have your attorney give you a full accounting of what he has done and why, as well as what he proposes to do and what he sees the timeline being. If your attorney won't take the time to explain matters in an understandable manner to you, it is probably time to seek new counsel that will keep you apprised of the progress of your claims.
    You can change attorneys at any time.
    You can always change lawyers, but I wouldn't recommend doing it until you have talked with your lawyer about your concerns.
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Jon C. Boesen
    Q: I hired an attorney to help with a car accident I was involved in and he is of no help, what can I do? A: The short answer is you can fire him and find another lawyer to help you with your claim. However, I have found over the years that it is often a lack of communication between the client and the attorney and not that the attorney is doing nothing. Before firing your attorney and hiring someone else, call your attorney and tell him that you need to meet with him. Not his paralegal or office manager, but with him. At the meeting let him know your concerns and give him an opportunity to inform you of what he is doing and what he anticipates for your case in the future. Often clients do not understand all that the attorney is doing on their behalf and often with a face to face meeting the client comes to realize what is being done on their behalf. If you are not satisfied after you meet in person with your attorney, then you may want to start looking for an attorney to take over the handling of your case. If your attorney refuses to meet with you, you are probably right, in that he is not doing what he needs to do and you should terminate him and find another attorney. Before terminating him, make sure you first find another attorney willing to take your case. Explain to the new or prospective attorney the problems with the first attorney so you can establish early on in the working relationship with your new attorney how important it is to you that he communicate what he is doing on your behalf and keeps you informed as he makes progress and pursues your case.
    You can always change lawyers.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You should get another lawyer to handle your case that you are more comfortable with. It will not cost you more and the lawyers will split the fee based on what they each did.
    Switch attorneys.
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You need to speak with your attorney directly. Several people think their attorney is not doing anything when in fact they maybe doing things to push your file to a settlement. There are too many moving parts to explain as to what maybe the hold up on your file, however, sometimes it is the insurance company who is the hold up and the only way to hold their feet to the fire is continue with the lawsuit. You may set yourself back several months by terminating your attorney now. So I would HIGHLY recommend that you reach out, schedule an appointment to go into his/her office and discuss exactly what is going on. Just because you have an attorney does not mean the insurance company is going to settle if there are bad facts. That said you attorney maybe able to settle your case tomorrow for a number that would make you write something bad about him on the internet because he was a sell out. So the best thing you can do is communicate with the person you hired to represent you and see what can be done to fit your personal needs. If your attorney will not communicate with you and you can not meet with them for an appointment, then you always have the right to terminate them, however it is more difficult to find an attorney to represent you on some other attorneys work. Good luck.
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
    There needs to be good communication between a client and a lawyer. If there is not, and if a client is not getting satisfactory service, change lawyers.
    You can fire him and get someone else.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    If you are not happy with your current attorney, you have a right to terminate your attorney's representation of you. You would have an obligation to pay your attorney for the time that the attorney spent on the case (normally from the settlement at the end of the case).
    You are entitled to the attorney of your choice and can pay the lawyer from his time and select another if he cannot explain to you the reasons for the matter taking longer than you desire. It is not the lawyers fault if the insurance company is refusing to pay or honor the claim, or making a pay off in so short a time. Otherwise, generally, there are insufficient facts to otherwise form any further opinion. One month is a very short time in which to settle a claim.
    First, go to your lawyer and air your concerns. If he or she does not respond in a way that you deem appropriate, you have the right to discharge your attorney and go hire a good one; make sure the next one you hire is board certified, as that is a credential you really want to look for.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    You can fire the attorney and retain a different one.