If I was in a car accident and the fault driver’s insurance company provided me with a rental, how long can I actually keep the rental? 1 Answers as of April 19, 2017

Now they are saying I need to turn in the car yet they haven't giving me a check for my totaled car.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
You typically have what is called a duty to mitigate damages, meaning you cannot run up expenses just to run up expenses. Once the insurance company has declared your vehicle a total loss they should tell you the fair market value they are going to pay you, give you notice you need to return the rental and then send you the check. There should not be an overlap in time however that is possible. The insurance company can contact the rental car company and stop paying, so you will be required to pay once they "cut off the rental". If your car is a total loss you will need to work quick to find another ride.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/19/2017
Click to View More Answers: