If I was hurt in a public bus, what can I do to address this legally? 8 Answers as of May 22, 2015

I was on a bus that only had standing room left. All of the sudden, the bus driver had to slam on the brakes to not run the light. I had my wrist sprained and my head cut on a public bus. A few of the other passengers got banged up, and we were thrown around. I was taken to the hospital and released. Can I take legal action?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
I think I answered this question a day or two back. You can probably sue the bus company. If it owned by a municipality, there are special conditions you must meet, and one of them is filing a Claim and Notice of Claim (and serving it on the wrondoer) within 120 days of the accident. Find a good personal injury lawyer to help you. Good Luck.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 5/22/2015
Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
If the bus driver or another driver the bus was reacting to was as fault a legal claim can be brought for your injuries.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 5/22/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
This could be very complicated. Get a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/22/2015
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
This question sounds familiar, were you on the same bus as the other guy? File a no-fault claim. That will take care of your medical bills and time out of work, if any. Then, call a personal injury lawyer in your area. You will have to show that you have a 'serious injury" as that term is defined by law, and there may be severe time restrictions in which to file a claim, so do so right away.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/22/2015
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Yes you can take legal action . Bus driver has a duty for safety of passengers and buses are fitted with video cam that will show the incident. We currently have a similar case against a municipal bus company . You need to file a claim within six months of the incident in case of a public bus company.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/22/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    First, if the bus is operated by a governmental agency, you must file a claim on their form within 6 months. Then after the claim is rejected , or deemed rejected, you can file suit. If the bus is privately owned/operated, you have a 2 year time period. In any event, you should get an injury lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/21/2015
    Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
    Sure, as the driver sounds as though he might have been negligent in not paying enough attention to the light changing. ?But how much are your damages? It does not seem as though you were hurt that much. Contact the bus company's claim department to see what they are willing to do. Most are very cheap as to settling cases. Since the bus is probably owned by a public entity, you have to file a claim with them within 6 months of the accident if you are in California.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/21/2015
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    It is possible to investigate the facts to see if you have a claim, but you should do so quickly due to the fact that you have a time limit to make a claim.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 5/21/2015
Click to View More Answers: