If I was charged with shoplifting for the first time and the amont is about $70, can I get that off my record and how? 6 Answers as of February 14, 2014

Yes, but you most get a lawyer and get put in diversion. You end up without a crime and the matter is never filed.
You should plead not guilty and get a lawyer. that person may be able to get a deal where you do not have the conviction on your record. This is important since what employer want to hire a thief?
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
You will need to hire an attorney to represent you. An experienced attorney can get the charge dismissed or amended to a lesser offense, such as "Littering." Depending on which court this is in, you might not have to appear in court at all, but you will have to pay a fine and court costs.
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Ask for diversion.
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
    You need to complete the terns of your sentence before you can expunge your record. If there is a diversion program, take it.