If I was charged with forgery, what could happen to me? 5 Answers as of April 27, 2016

In my stupidity, I came across a check that had expired and changed the date and deposited. I have been charged with forgery. What can I be sentenced with? I'm divorced with 3 kids and very involve with my community.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Jail time is a good possibility. For how long will depend on the amount of the check, your criminal history, if any, and whether the District Attorney wants to charge you with a misdemeanor or felony. I strongly suggest that you retain the most experienced criminal defense attorney you can afford.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/27/2016
Chambers Law Firm
Chambers Law Firm | Dan E. Chambers
Probably no jail time if you have no prior record. Several hundred dollars worth of fines. Summary probation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/26/2016
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Very involved with the community, what does that mean? Prison is a community also? What does your being divorced have to do with anything? You are facing 10 years in prison. I recommend that you retain an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/26/2016
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Depending on the amount of the check and whether you are charged with a felony, you could see jail time and have to repay the money. Being divorced with 3 kids and involved in the community only supports that you should have known better.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/26/2016
Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
If it is a first offense, you would likely get probation.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/26/2016
Click to View More Answers: