If I was caught sohplifting about $150 worth of merchandise and I have a court date, what is the punishment and will it go to my records? 8 Answers as of February 25, 2014

Depending on the amount allegedly stolen and the jurisdiction where the event occurred, shoplifting can be met with a mere citation (infraction), or charged as a misdemeanor or even a felony, with possible jail sentences of 6 months to 3 years. It will be up to the D.A. to determine how the crime will be charged. I suggest that you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you and get you the best deal possible. In addition, if you were arrested, you will have an arrest record and upon conviction you will have a criminal record.
In Washington, you committed a gross misdemeanor with a sentence range of 364 days in jail and $5,000 fine. If this is your first offense, you can expect be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, commit no further criminal violations, and be on probation for one year. You will also have to pay a civil fine. You will have a record, which prevent you from getting a job, an apartment, or loan. If there is a diversion program, get into it.
Shoplift is punishable by a maximum of 1 year in jail and a $5,000.00 fine. There is no mandatory minimum penalty. The penalty that is imposed is up to the judge, considering such factors as the actual facts of the case and whether or not you have a criminal record, especially for a similar past offense. Even if the judge does not order jail time and gives you a suspended sentence, you have still been convicted, and , yes, your conviction will be on your record and subject to public disclosure,, which could have an impact on employment and secondary education. My advice: hire an attorney to help you. He/she may be able to work a resolution that keeps you from having a conviction.
Theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye.
Law Office of Mark Herman
Law Office of Mark Herman | Mark Herman
What you describe is misdemeanor theft, punishable by up to 90 days in jail and up to a $1,000.00 fine. If this is your first offense for theft and do not have any prior criminal record it is extremely unlikely you would be sentenced to any jail time nor would you get such a high fine. With that being said, if you plead guilty or go to trial and are convicted, this will go on your record which could make it difficult to secure employment in the future. I strongly suggest contacting an attorney to discuss this matter so you can find out if it would be possible to keep this off your record.
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    If you plead guilty to misdemeanor (under $500) shoplifting in Missouri, then yes, you will have a conviction for shoplifting on your permanent criminal record. The maximum penalty for misdemeanor shoplifting in Missouri is 1 year in jail and a $1,000 fine. If your case is in a municipal court, the maximum penalty is 6 months in jail and a $500 fine. If you hire an attorney to represent you, your attorney can probably get your shoplifting charge dismissed or amended to a lesser offense, such as "Littering." The outcome of your case depends on your criminal history, the details of your case, and which court your case is being prosecuted in.
    It is a crime and will go on your records. We normally get people diversion for these types of cases.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Ask for the diversion program