If I was caught shoplifting $46 worth of items, will it go on my permanent record? 12 Answers as of April 25, 2014

I got caught shoplifting from a store and the item was $46. I was arrested and I was released within 2 hours and I have court the following month. Will it go on my permanent record? My record was clean. I have never done anything like this. It's also the first time I have been arrested.

If you get convicted then it will go on your PERMANENT record.? Get a lawyer and see if something can be worked out to avoid a conviction if you do what they want you to do.
If you are convicted of the crime... yes it will.
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
It depends on how the case is resolved. A good attorney may be able to keep it off of your record. Contact an attorney asap.
Yes, you will have a criminal record. As a first offender, you likely will be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations and be on probation for one year. You will also have to pay a civil fine to the store.
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
Yes, if you plead guilty or are convicted of shoplifting, that will go on your permanent criminal record, and you can never get that conviction removed from your record. Having a shoplifting conviction on your criminal record will prevent you from getting a job, renting an apartment, getting federal student loans, etc. I highly recommend that you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you if you want to keep this off your criminal record.
    Shoplifting items of a value of less than $950.00 is petty theft. Petty theft can be charged as an infraction if the amount stolen is worth $50.00 or less. If over $50.00 but less than $950.00 it is charged as a misdemeanor. However If you have three or more priors for petty theft, the next one can be a felony or a misdemeanor. Infractions are punished by a fine. Misdemeanors are punished by up to one year in the county jail and/or up to a $1,000.00 fine. Felonies are punished by sixteen months, two years, or three years in state prison. The normal punishment for first time petty theft is three years summary probation, a fine, community service, theft classes, and restitution to the victim. Second or third convictions for petty theft normally are the same as for a first conviction. However, it is not unlikely to receive up to 90 days in county jail for the additional convictions. This all depends on the facts of the case. A convection of petty theft, whether by guilty plea or guilty verdict from a jury, will go on your record.
    It will go on your record.
    It will go on your permanent record. We can help have the matter dismissed.
    Law Office of Gary H. Lomanno, LLC | Gary H. Lomanno
    Yes, a record of an arrest and conviction remains on your record. Removal requires the filing of an application for expungement.
    It depends on what kind of deal you reach. It will be on your record unless you get into a diversion program or other sentencing option that would keep it off. That is why you need to be represented by an experienced criminal defense attorney that regularly handles shoplifting or retail fraud charges.
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    This is a Criminal violation and a conviction to that charge would go on your record. You should have an attorney represent you on this matter. They could work to avoid a conviction on your record for this charge.
    Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C. | Laurie Schmidt
    The arrest and any subsequent conviction will go on your record. Depending on the jurisdiction, you may be eligible for a deferred sentence and/or the case may be sealable after a certain period of time.